What's new

Cricket Wireless Gets First Pre-Paid iPhone in the US

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
5241-t-iphone-4.JPG

Cricket Wireless today announced that it is to be the first pre-paid carrier in the US to carry Apple’s iPhone. Starting from Friday, June 22, Cricket will be offering the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S to its customers on its $55-per-month all-inclusive, unlimited talk, text and data plan. The iPhone 4S will cost $499.99 for the 16GB model, and the iPhone 4 will be available for $399.99.

“Our customers want the best products available and we are excited to bring iPhone to our pre-paid consumers with an industry leading $55 per-month service plan,” said Doug Hutcheson, president and chief executive officer, Leap Wireless International, Inc. “Launching iPhone is a major milestone for us and we are proud to offer iPhone customers attractive nationwide coverage, a robust 3G data network and a value-packed, no-contract plan.”

Customers will be able to get the phones from Cricket’s company-owned stores and select dealers in nearly 60 markets, as well as online at www.mycricket.com/iphone, and by calling 800-853-7682.

Source:
Cricket Wireless via 9to5 Mac

Interesting to say the least!! Wonder if you'll be able to take an unlocked iPhone and use it on Cricket's network for the $55/mo plan?

I was just thinking the same thing. That's a heck of a monthly deal. Definitely cheaper than what I'm paying Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It there was decent coverage in my area, I'd be all over this. We'll see how things go when then iPhone 5 is released.

Can you believe that I went to best buy to inquire about this and the guy at the celullar counter started laughing at me.
I told him that he needed to get educated and left.

Not worth the money at all. You can get the 4S for $199.99 with very good service and only $79.99/mo unlimited. You plan on having a phone for 2 years right? So, what's the big deal?

Interesting to say the least!! Wonder if you'll be able to take an unlocked iPhone and use it on Cricket's network for the $55/mo plan?

Isn't Cricket a CDMA carrier? The unlocked iPhones are GSM.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Mr.Mischief said:
Isn't Cricket a CDMA carrier? The unlocked iPhones are GSM.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
I'm not sure what type of carrier Cricket is. If they're a CDMA carrier as you mentioned... then it wouldn't work at all. Ugh!

You can go on pay as you go with any service provider?

So whats the differnce with cricket pre-paid service, i think it only means you must by the phone for the full price?

I just called cricket up and they are CDMA service.

Oh well i guess when i travel in states i will use At&t for GSM service.

Who is the cheapest pay as you go GSM provider in the Usa?

Well you can try simple mobile, not a great coverage but not bad either and you can get a unlimited plan for 25 bucks for 15 days or a $40.00 for a month

Well you can try simple mobile, not a great coverage but not bad either and you can get a unlimited plan for 25 bucks for 15 days or a $40.00 for a month

Great for the info.

My provider has packages i will look into them as well.

Thks

awesome. might be doing this route. 55$ > $80

but then ill need to buy a new phone. :(

Simple Mobile runs on T-Mobile's network, so data speed will be edge. You'd be better off with Straight Talk AT&T.