What's new

Creating app with partner legal issue?

karel

Reaction score
Hi, I wont bore people with too much detail, but I wrote a book a while ago on a self help subject and my site and book has become one of the largest in the world on the subject. 1 person who this book helped spoke of creating an app on this subject. He really does know his stuff and has created one before.

We have decided exactly what will go on this app and he has started to develop it. The problem is it is all my work going on there and he lives in a different country. I trust him, but we are still pretty much strangers and I need to protect myself.

My questions are;

1. Do apple take on joint owners of apps and if so how would they pay 2 seperate people?

2. Do we need to draw something legal up to protect me and my work and stop him just telling apple here is my app and then cutting me off?

3. It is all my work and without me he has no way of promoting it, but he has created it and I would have never thought about it without his help. So I am not greedy, but what sort of percentage would people think would be acceptable?

4. Would he have any control over my work if I let him register the app in his name?

5. Is there anything else I need to know? Sorry a total legal minefield for me here and just wish to know how to fully protect myself.

Thanks for any help, big or small

Paul

Hi, I wont bore people with too much detail, but I wrote a book a while ago on a self help subject and my site and book has become one of the largest in the world on the subject. 1 person who this book helped spoke of creating an app on this subject. He really does know his stuff and has created one before.

We have decided exactly what will go on this app and he has started to develop it. The problem is it is all my work going on there and he lives in a different country. I trust him, but we are still pretty much strangers and I need to protect myself.

My questions are;

1. Do apple take on joint owners of apps and if so how would they pay 2 seperate people?

2. Do we need to draw something legal up to protect me and my work and stop him just telling apple here is my app and then cutting me off?

3. It is all my work and without me he has no way of promoting it, but he has created it and I would have never thought about it without his help. So I am not greedy, but what sort of percentage would people think would be acceptable?

4. Would he have any control over my work if I let him register the app in his name?

5. Is there anything else I need to know? Sorry a total legal minefield for me here and just wish to know how to fully protect myself.

Thanks for any help, big or small

Paul

You should already have a lawyer on retainer if your very first statement is true. Ask him for this advice. I highly recommend you also get a lawyer on retainer in the country of the person writing the application. Simply put, unless you involve lawyers from both counties, you will be exposed in more ways than an internet forum can possible help cover.

And if work has already truly started without a written contract, you are already pretty much screwed. Since verbal contracts always become he said, she said court cases. Especially when crossing country lines.

O.k thanks for the advice, the app has not been developed and I may have come across as though it was in further development than it is. The apps layout and content has been decided, it was me who said we need to sort out any legal issues now.

I doubt the guy would try anything under hand as without me he has little way of promoting it and surely no one could go ahead with someone else's work and just create an app and say, 'Yes, but he said it was o.k and it's my word against his!' This is just crazy, one email to apple saying my work has been used without permission, they would realise I was not registered with them or gaining finacially and they would pull it or it would never see the light of day, if it was that easy, anyone could do it.

I am pretty clueless on lawyers/legal issues and not sure what the below statement means?

You should already have a lawyer on retainer

I don't expect anyone to walk me through it and can do a lot of the reaserch myself, but a small guding hand is required.

Also how would a written contract be sorted with the difference in country's, can 2 lawyers from different country's get together and arrange a deal?

Again it's a minefield for me, just want to make sure it is done correctly.

Thanks for any help

I am pretty clueless on lawyers/legal issues and not sure what the below statement means?

You should already have a lawyer on retainer

Usually book authors with #1 books on a subject are millionaires. And every millionaire I know has a Lawyer and CPA on retainer. In fact it is the first piece of advice I give to people who finally break into that status.

A lawyer on retainer is one that you have worked with and pay a yearly fee ranging from sometimes as low as $10K a year to upwards of several million a year. Their job is to be constantly aware of your situation and legal needs. As well as to be on call should you need their immediate advice.

O.K I get what you were referring to. The book is self published and is not in the book stores, although it has an isbn and is on amazon where it does well. 95% of sales though come through the website which gets thousands of uniques a week. A millionaire I am not, as the book is in a very niche area, but it pays me a good living.

So back to the initial subject, if anyone can help further on the next step to take the app forward legally, then it would be appreciated.