What's new

CraigsList Phone was UNDER CONTRACT

Status
Not open for further replies.

perezr10

Reaction score
Ok, so my son buys an iPhone 5s from someone on Craigslist, his first mistake. The guy tells him it's unlocked and good to go. So my son gets home and tries to activate it with T-Mobile and after he keys in the imei number into T-Mobile's website he gets a message saying that the phone was financed under a contract and not eligible for activation. The guy from Craigslist won't respond to any messages.

So, is he basically screwed? At least it's not iCloud locked.

It may not be iCloud locked but you're not going to be able to use it as a phone. It's entirely possible that the phone may have been reported lost or stolen by the seller in order to scam his insurance company.

That's awful! Either T-Mobile is strict now about their ohones now
Have you tried Att! Maybe they won't care about T-Mobile contract?
This is unfair, my friend did something similar for an iPhone 5 it's locked she calls me to unlock her phone and I honestly don't have a clue! What she's gonna do I told her to go to her carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so my son buys an iPhone 5s from someone on Craigslist, his first mistake. The guy tells him it's unlocked and good to go. So my son gets home and tries to activate it with T-Mobile and after he keys in the imei number into T-Mobile's website he gets a message saying that the phone was financed under a contract and not eligible for activation. The guy from Craigslist won't respond to any messages.

So, is he basically screwed? At least it's not iCloud locked.

Yes and no.
Yes he is screwed for use on any future use with T-Mobile.
However he is not totally without options . This said T-mob black listed device can be used on any other GSM frequency based carrier like AT&T(1 of the only 2 major GSM reliant net works me thinks).
In order for your son to rebound from this cluster_ _ck of a deal he needs to go back Cl to post an add for this device as an iphone 5S for use on the AT&T network only.
He is not being dishonest by not using words like "black listed","bad IMEI etc...
It is obviously his call on an asking price...He should pick The buyer who is willing to meet in front of your local police station. And he needs to take another person with him as well.
I only say police station because I absolutely do not want any possibility of 1 hair getting harmed on the kids head .As for me ? Ill go into the ROCs'(republic of the congo)at the devils hours without fear .
But this is your son. Make sure he is bullet proof.

The above is incorrect information. The phone carriers (in the USA) share a "blacklist." If a phone in the USA has been blacklisted - it cannot be activated on any other carrier in the USA. It may be activated overseas, but certainly not ever in the USA.

The only person who can work to remove the phone from the blacklist is the individual who did not pay his/her bill (or reported it as stolen).

A purchaser of a blacklisted phone is out his/her purchase price because the device is of no use to them and cannot be activated in the USA.

Marilyn

In addition, selling on a stolen / blacklisted phone is both dishonest and illegal.

Last edited:
Yes the G.S.M.A data base for lost / stolen devices
that was started in 2012...
But i did not read anything about this phone being lost/stolen.
It is not icloud locked ... It does not have a find my iphone activated...
What thread am i learning how to read on?
Wow,ive been here for 5 minutes and 2 mods
are lighting me up with bunk info vs my facts.
Im out of here

There's a good chance that the seller of this phone reported it as lost or stolen in order to collect an insurance payout, then decided to make another few bucks by selling it. This phone was a subsidized iPhone purchased under contract and won't belong to the original purchaser until the contract is completed.

Thanks for the replies. I've counseled my son to just to sell it on eBay but to be completely honest with the situation in the description. Warning prospective buyers of a potential future theft lock.

My son said he bought the phone for $175. A 16gb 5s with a cracked screen. He was thinking it was a good deal even with replacing the screen. However, he learned that if something is really cheap on Craigslist, watch out.

I recommend groupon it's 274$ IPhone 5c I believe I seen it it showed 5s but i dont know
'My friend grabbed an iPhone 5 on eBay no idea what she did but she calls me to unlock it I don't know how to unlock an iPhone lol
I told her to ask seller or Verizon.... Sometimes cheaper is good deal sometimes we get burned. Best of luck.

Btw it's SOOOO awesome to know nobody can steal my iPhone and use it lol thats beautiful!
I have it insured hard passwords iCloud passwords I can't imagine what anyone would accomplish stealing it.. Even if they modded it maybe they can use it but I don't know but nevertheless it makes me happy!

What happens when someone buys a locked Iphone? Sorry if this is wrong to do should I start a new subject!

What happens when someone buys a locked Iphone? Sorry if this is wrong to do should I start a new subject!

If it's carrier locked, the buyer is out of luck as the carrier will only unlock it for the original owner, if they'll unlock it at all. If it's iCloud Activation Locked, the buyer is also out of luck as only the Apple ID and password of the original owner can release the activation lock and enable the iPhone to be erased and used by the new owner.

Knowing her she cares for saving money never once had a smart phone I am curious what happened..
I know it's locked she actually texted me to come unlock it I texted back ""lol"" how" duh! She's like oh there's a code on you tube ! Oh duh me thinks she got ripped off
Carriers make it so affordable I don't get it whatsoever in cases like her who has plenty of $$ it makes no sense

Sorry to hear that your son got scammed but that is why you don't buy used phones from craigslist or anywhere else without checking the IMEI number there are websites that you can check it while you're there talking to the person I have sold phones and bought phones and have used this kinda site before

Status
Not open for further replies.