What's new

Contra-Customer Conspiracy

woesong01

Reaction score
It has been reported that Apple has a patent for an iPhone or iOS feature which would kill any attempt to film or photograph in certain venues. This seems to be a departure from the usual corporate service to the customer in the attempt at currying favor with potential partners. "If we carry your content in iTunes, then you can be assured no pirated performances on our Watch - or phones either."

The model is Paul Corleone offering to disappear union trouble on a set if the director will cast Frankie in his movie.

Next comes the horse's head in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Apple does hold that patent.

Unfortunately I'm going to get slightly political here, which is against our rules, so @Poisonivy might throw rocks at me. However…

There is a growing unease, particularly in the US, at the number of seemingly innocent people being shot, and often killed, by police, to the extent that people are reaching for their phones to record these encounters.

The potential for police vehicles or even uniforms to carry camera jamming equipment has already been discussed.

When I read about this patent, news of which came within days of the FBI demanding a back door into a "terrorist's" phone, and being politely told to go pound sand, my first thought was that Apple had applied for the patent to prevent anyone else developing the technology.

Personally, I think any manufacturer who tries to sell a phone with a hobbled camera won't be selling many. I don't see Apple going it alone on this one.

Unfortunately I'm going to get slightly political here, which is against our rules, so @Poisonivy might throw rocks at me. However…

There is a growing unease, particularly in the US, at the number of seemingly innocent people being shot, and often killed, by police, to the extent that people are reaching for their phones to record these encounters.

The potential for police vehicles or even uniforms to carry camera jamming equipment has already been discussed.

When I read about this patent, news of which came within days of the FBI demanding a back door into a "terrorist's" phone, and being politely told to go pound sand, my first thought was that Apple had applied for the patent to prevent anyone else developing the technology.

Personally, I think any manufacturer who tries to sell a phone with a hobbled camera won't be selling many. I don't see Apple going it alone on this one.
It's in the nature of how municipal state and federal agencies have to budget that they will have to state they are purchasing the technology. It may take an eagle eye to catch but I am guessing that should an agency attempt to acquire the technology, someone would read about it and sound the alarm. And that is where involved citizenry would have to go into action.

I think they should use camera jamming devices in live concerts and performances. Nothing worse than seeing legends like the stones or metallica performing live and you have some asshole next you recording the whole thing on his shitty phone instead of enjoying the moment live. He's busy dicking around with the camera phone.

Ruins the experience for everyone.

I'm pro-jamming devices.

Very interesting. I had not considered the possibility of the technology used to either hide or expose police murder. We're Apple motivated to prevent hidden homicides, good on them. But if there's some sort of nefarious protocol by which the company provides the means for dark opps, that's something else again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
@Junior Dont need a jamming device. A good old fashioned slap upside the head would work just as well, and be infinitely more satisfying.

I was at an Edmonton Symphony Orchestra concert recently and some winner had an electronic device emitting a high pitched noise. The conductor stopped the concert and demanded the device be found and turned off. Kudos to him.

@Junior Dont need a jamming device. A good old fashioned slap upside the head would work just as well, and be infinitely more satisfying.

I was at an Edmonton Symphony Orchestra concert recently and some winner had an electronic device emitting a high pitched noise. The conductor stopped the concert and demanded the device be found and turned off. Kudos to him.
Talking to people and asking them to follow rules doesn't work. Just jam the device so it's completely unusable and let's enjoy the concert.

Even the performer having to stop the whole show to find a single person with a device is extremely annoying. This jamming device would prevent the nonsensical behaviour from the start.

Talking to people and asking them to follow rules doesn't work. Just jam the device so it's completely unusable and let's enjoy the concert.

Even the performer having to stop the whole show to find a single person with a device is extremely annoying. This jamming device would prevent the nonsensical behaviour from the start.
The thing about jamming the device is that in many countries, including Canada where I live, jamming devices like that would be illegal to use.

I seem to remember, back in the day, that you could get thrown out of a concert for using a recording device. I know it didn't stop people given the prevalence of bootleg concert recordings, but I agree with @Junior that it can be annoying, especially when your view of the stage is wrecked by the glare of the phone held by the person in the seat in front of you. I will not agree with jamming cameras though. My inconvenience at a concert comes a pretty poor second to someone's life being threatened by the inability of Joe Public being able to record the activities of private armies of stormtroopers, which seems to be the way many police departments are going. Social media is depressing reading at times. There is a GOOD reason for the existence of such social movements as BlackLivesMatter. They may get taken over by those with a political axe to grind, but their inception comes from a very real fear that there is an unwritten penal code applying to certain racial and social groups.

Ok l am simple guy, you go to a concert with your phone. It could be any phone not just an iPhone.
Does that mean Samsung phones won't be blocked?
If it blocks all phones then they must be left at the doors, and everyone passes through a scanner, fantastic.

I don't know the police situation in America and why they would want people's phones blocked unless they have something to hide. If so what is it?
I do however feel that Apple could maybe relax a little now and again, for example when loads of people where blown up by terrorists. I believe the FBI
wanted help cracking the iPhone.
If Apple were capable of doing that they did not need to tell the FBI how it
Was done.
Guidelines could be set l think

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

I'm not so sure about guidelines. They seem to have the habit of becoming a rule for one, enforced by, and ignored by, another.

Almost every day, I swear under my breath about lunatic car drivers. All of their cars should be speed limited so that they are not capable of breaking the speed limit. Assume Ford agreed and limited every car they produce to 70 mph. GM and Chrysler would laugh all the way to the bank.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. Can't really develop any thought without getting overly political. We can agree to disagree on the subject of jamming. Nothing anyone can say will make me see it as a good thing and I realize that I'm not going to change minds in the other direction. So it's perhaps best to leave it at that.

Moderator hat on now: Feel free to carry on the conversation but please keep the politics out of it. One thing we pride this forum on is its inclusiveness and politics is a great way to destroy that.

Well l don't know anything about politics and l couldn't give a monkies.
All l know is that if some mob blows people up in a nightclub or the streets in any Country.
And someone has a video of it happening that might help the police get the bast***** then they should hand it over.
Remember one thing it might be your Mum,Dad,Son,Daughter next time.
But l am just a simple guy

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

Alright, I'll break my own rule that I set for myself. @brixtonboy , I agree with you, and THAT is why I believe that people should be free to shoot the video in every single case. Nightclub DJs are one group who might like to take advantage of jamming, citing copyright of the tunes they play. Hell, I've had soundtracks blocked on YouTube videos because some clown took exception to the fact that there was music (Ozzy Osbourne) playing in the background. One was completely banned in Germany because the music (Tubular Bells) fell foul of one copyright claim or another. All the video showed was my reel to reel tape player in action.

Hey man l'm not trying to pick a fight or anything.
You have your rules, that's cool. I am
London through and through, no different from you l am sure one Golden rule Family Comes First.
Personally l could not care less about someone making a video of concert or whatever, but that's me.
But blowing people up in the streets or restaurants is totally different and as l said they could be ours sadly.
That's what disses me off

Gregory lsaacs r.i.p.