What's new

Contacts Disappearing

Nickz28ss

Reaction score
So last night is the second time in about a months time that all my contacts just vanished from my phone. I was running 4.3.2 this whole time as well(if that matters). The first time it happened, when someone text me it just showed phone numbers like it should since i didn't have there contact info saved.

But last night when it popped up while it was looked, it would show there contact name, but as soon as i opened the message it would only show the number and all my contacts were gone still. So i updated to 4.3.3 and then it went like the first time where it just showed the number. Im assuming i lost all the numbers and that's not a huge issue, but why is this doing that. Any way to solve it?

Did you backup your files back to the device after upgrading to iOS 4.3.3?

No not yet, i know i can get my contacts back, im just mainly wondering on why this is happening?

That's normal then. If you didn't save the phone number into your phone in the contact app, it will never display a contact name, it will always display a phone number either incoming call or sms or mms. Unless I didn't get your point.
What happen when you save a phone number 123456789 into you conctat book under the name of ABCD? When ABCD send you a sms, will the name ABCD display on the screen or it's the phone number 123456789 which will display even though you already have that 123456789 phone number saved in your contact book.

No not yet, i know i can get my contacts back, im just mainly wondering on why this is happening?

That's normal then. If you didn't save the phone number into your phone in the contact app, it will never display a contact name, it will always display a phone number either incoming call or sms or mms. Unless I didn't get your point.
What happen when you save a phone number 123456789 into you conctat book under the name of ABCD? When ABCD send you a sms, will the name ABCD display on the screen or it's the phone number 123456789 which will display even though you already have that 123456789 phone number saved in your contact book.

This last time it was like. Say ABCD sent me a text. On the lock screen where you can preview it, it would say ABCD and the message, but as soon as i unlocked my phone and went into the messages Where it should display ABCD was just the actual phone number, and the contacts were still gone.

Hey, got the same issue.

It has to be some app that corrupts contacts database...

It happened once before like a month ago. I had to plug it to iTunes and tick the Replace all contacts on iPhone checkbox. Contacts came back ok but i lost all recent changes and new contacts since last sync :(

It's really annoying, and it feels like almost noone got the same bug.

I have iPhone4 /iOS 4.3.3 and no mobileme account and contacts are not synced to anything OTA.

I have the same problem. The contacts disappeared out of the blue. I don't know what I did to make it disappear. I am on iOS 4.1 jailbreak. Appreciate if anybody can help inform:
1) what actually happened so that I can prevent from happening again. Is it a bug?
2) how to get them back other than to restore from iTunes backup because I am outstation now. I don't have iPhone backups
Tq

I had the same thing happen this week. Contacts were there, then out of the blue they were gone. Had to sync thru iTunes.

I'm running original released iPhone 4 iOS from Verizon and jail broke.