What's new

Contact showing up in "New Message" field, but not in contacts

tcottarel

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I have a friend who recently got a new phone number. So I changed the phone number in the contacts. However, when I go to my messages, and tap the thing in the top right corner for a new message, and type in his name, both phone numbers still appear. But I have deleted the first one out of my contacts. This is annoying because I don't have his number memorized, so I don't know which is which. Sure, I could try to remember it, but he's not someone I text too frequently, so I feel like I'll forget in the near future. The numbers are also very similar which makes this issue even more annoying.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this contact?

Attached is an image incase you didn't get what I was saying from the description.

$contact.jpg

If you deleted the old number and this still occurs, it might be that you have old messages on your iPhone that're still linked to that number, as in your conversation with him still has the old number texts. You'll probably have to delete those before you see the full change

All the messages with the old number have been deleted, but the issue still persists.

Yeppers. It will persist until a database update in search index does a purge of old data. I haven't nailed down how often a purge occurs in that index. Could be 24 hours or it could be a week.