What's new

Connecting to network

paieye

Reaction score
Last week, I replaced my faithful 5S with a 7 plus. Genius Bar transferred he material from old to new, and all seemed well. However, I cannot connect wirelessly to our network here at home without using Forget This Network. Moreover, if I press the on/off switch merely to put the screen to sleep, the 7 plus immediately loses the connexion.

Have you tried going to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings? This will not erase any data from your phone but will set all networking settings to factory default.

Last edited:
Have you tried going to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings? This will not erase any data from your phone but will set all networking settings to factory default.
Thank you for coming to my aid, and I tried that, but No, the trouble is persisting.

Does the iPhone connect to other WiFi networks without any problems? If you haven't already done so, reset your home router. It has been known to help in cases of connection problems.

Does the iPhone connect to other WiFi networks without any problems? If you haven't already done so, reset your home router. It has been known to help in cases of connection problems.
Thank you again. You do mean reSET, and not merely reSTART ? I have tried the latter repeatedly without result, but I am just a little reluctant to try the former, as it will mean a new password and possibly other disruption. However, if that is what is needed, I shall certainly try it. I have not yet tried the iPhone on other networks, but shall do so a little later today,

Thank you again. You do mean reSET, and not merely reSTART ? I have tried the latter repeatedly without result, but I am just a little reluctant to try the former, as it will mean a new password and possibly other disruption. However, if that is what is needed, I shall certainly try it. I have not yet tried the iPhone on other networks, but shall do so a little later today,
I meant to restart your router. If connecting to another router still does not help, there is almost certainly some setting on your iPhone that’s causing the problem. Do you live close enough to an Apple Store to visit the Genius Bar for a free diagnostic?

Last edited:
I meant to restart your router. If connecting to another router still does not help, there is almost certainly some setting on your iPhone that’s causing the problem. Do live close enough to an Apple Store to visit the Genius Bar for a free diagnostic?
Thank goodness, I can get to a wonderful Genius Bar in an hour or so. I must make an important correction to my 1st message. It now turns out that pressing the on/off switch does NOT always make the telephone lose the connexion, sometimes it just does so without my having done anything.

Thank goodness, I can get to a wonderful Genius Bar in an hour or so. I must make an important correction to my 1st message. It now turns out that pressing the on/off switch does NOT always make the telephone lose the connexion, sometimes it just does so without my having done anything.
Let us know if they can find out what the problem is.

Let us know if they can find out what the problem is.
I have today managed to test the new iPhone on 2 other networks. On both networks, the iPhone found the connexion, and let me enter the password and get online. On Network A, the connexion eventually failed, but that does not too much trouble me, because A has always been shaky. On Network B, the connexion was perfect, and stayed perfect. If that means that our router here at home needs adjusting, that puzzles me,because my wife's iPad and this MacBook Air have no difficulty at all with it.

I have today managed to test the new iPhone on 2 other networks. On both networks, the iPhone found the connexion, and let me enter the password and get online. On Network A, the connexion eventually failed, but that does not too much trouble me, because A has always been shaky. On Network B, the connexion was perfect, and stayed perfect. If that means that our router here at home needs adjusting, that puzzles me,because my wife's iPad and this MacBook Air have no difficulty at all with it.
It’s not uncommon for one device to have trouble connecting to a router that other devices have no problem with.

Is this the formula

1. Reset using paper-clip or similar.
2. Enter I.P.-address 192.168.1.1 or similar.
3. Enter admin, admin.
4. Then (I presume) the web-page will invite me to create a network-name and password. Shall I be permitted to use the existing ones, or shall I be required to think of something else ?

My apology for these beginnerish questions, but I really dread getting lost after resetting the router !

Is this the formula

1. Reset using paper-clip or similar.
2. Enter I.P.-address 192.168.1.1 or similar.
3. Enter admin, admin.
4. Then (I presume) the web-page will invite me to create a network-name and password. Shall I be permitted to use the existing ones, or shall I be required to think of something else ?

My apology for these beginnerish questions, but I really dread getting lost after resetting the router !

Every wannabe hacker out there knows every router default admin name and password, please create an admin login with a different password. If your router allows you to, create a user ID other than admin and use a long password, give it administrator rights then disable the account named admin. Protect your network.

I carried out a paperclip-reset, and found that all of my settings had vanished. It has taken 4+ hours on the telephone with technicians (none of whom really knew how to guide me) and another 6 hours struggling by myself to get back online. However, at last I can get online with my 7 plus, so my thanks for your help.

Your paperclip reset should not have erased all the settings. It's never done that with my router. I'm glad that you were able to get a good connection to your iPhone after all that.