What's new

Clean install?

matt1710

Reaction score
Hi

I'm new here and have searched several times for my topic, however haven't turned anything up...so here goes...

I have an iPhone 4 currently running 5.1 (9B176) with modem firmware version being 04.12.01. I need to revert the iOS to 5.0.1, 5.0.0 or even iOS 4.x - it just can't be 5.1. I have read much about SHSH blobs and how important they are for downgrading the iOS. The phone used to belong to my sister and she certainly didn't deliberately save the SHSH Blobs - unless this happened automatically as part of a Time Machine backup??

I have a few questions I'd really appreciate answers to:

1. Anyway, is there any version of iOS prior to 5.1 that can be installed on this iPhone4, that doesn't require SHSH blobs to do so?
2. Am I able to do a 'clean install' and put an old iOS (like 4.3.5) - or does that too require SHSH blobs?
3. If there's no downgrading I can do without SHSH blobs, what are the chances that someone will devise a method to downgrade in the future? Perhaps without authentic SHSH blobs??

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Hi

I'm new here and have searched several times for my topic, however haven't turned anything up...so here goes...

I have an iPhone 4 currently running 5.1 (9B176) with modem firmware version being 04.12.01. I need to revert the iOS to 5.0.1, 5.0.0 or even iOS 4.x - it just can't be 5.1. I have read much about SHSH blobs and how important they are for downgrading the iOS. The phone used to belong to my sister and she certainly didn't deliberately save the SHSH Blobs - unless this happened automatically as part of a Time Machine backup??

I have a few questions I'd really appreciate answers to:

1. Anyway, is there any version of iOS prior to 5.1 that can be installed on this iPhone4, that doesn't require SHSH blobs to do so?
2. Am I able to do a 'clean install' and put an old iOS (like 4.3.5) - or does that too require SHSH blobs?
3. If there's no downgrading I can do without SHSH blobs, what are the chances that someone will devise a method to downgrade in the future? Perhaps without authentic SHSH blobs??

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure? | iPhone Unlocking Guide for BeginnersiPhoneForums.net Mobile App

iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

poisonivy……iPF STAFF.

Hi Matt! Let's first be certain that you can't pull any SHSHs from your iPhone. Dowload Tiny UImbrella from here... The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella. Connect your iPhone to the computer and run TU and see what it comes up with. Let us know. :)

Good suggestion. I'll give it a try and let you know. I downloaded and saved the SHSH blobs from my own iPhone 4S last night...not sure if they'll ever be useful/functional - Apple seems hell bent on controlling what people can do with their own phone...

Good suggestion. I'll give it a try and let you know. I downloaded and saved the SHSH blobs from my own iPhone 4S last night...not sure if they'll ever be useful/functional - Apple seems hell bent on controlling what people can do with their own phone...

Whats wrong with 5.1 on ur iphone4? Im planning to upgrade to 5.1.

Whats wrong with 5.1 on ur iphone4? Im planning to upgrade to 5.1.

What's wrong with 5.1.1?

Why not just upgrade to the better most updated iOS.

If your going to update....then update.

Plus...I don't know if this matters to you...but there is no jailbreak(untethered) for 5.1. Only 5.1.1 has the untethered jailbreak.

And you cannot upgrade to 5.1 without SHSH blobs anyway. If you have SHSH....then that means you jailbreak(usually). If you jailbreak....then boy would it be asinine to update to 5.1 instead of 5.1.1.

100% completely and entirely pointless to go to 5.1 instead of 5.1.1.

I plugged the iPhone4 into the iMac, and iTunes announced that it had discovered an iPhone in "recovery mode" and that it must be restored. I started TinyUmbrella and selected it - it was listed under "Recovery Devices" with a big long number. I then defined a folder to save the SHSH Blobs, checked 'Save ALL Avalailable SHSH' and unchecked 'Request SHSH from Cydia'. I then clicked 'Save SHSH". Result - no files were saved in the folder defined.

I then checked 'Request SHSH from Cydia' and then clicked 'SAve SHSH'. Result : same thing - i.e. no SHSH files were saved.

Should I restore the iPhone (I assume to what it was before I attempted to jailbreak it - which was 5.1) using iTunes - then see what SHSH blobs can be found, using the same method above?

Matt

PS - I need to revert it to 5.0 (or earlier)as my sister requires it to run some software that isn't compatible with anything later than 5.0.1

matt1710 said:
I plugged the iPhone4 into the iMac, and iTunes announced that it had discovered an iPhone in "recovery mode" and that it must be restored. I started TinyUmbrella and selected it - it was listed under "Recovery Devices" with a big long number. I then defined a folder to save the SHSH Blobs, checked 'Save ALL Avalailable SHSH' and unchecked 'Request SHSH from Cydia'. I then clicked 'Save SHSH". Result - no files were saved in the folder defined.

I then checked 'Request SHSH from Cydia' and then clicked 'SAve SHSH'. Result : same thing - i.e. no SHSH files were saved.

Should I restore the iPhone (I assume to what it was before I attempted to jailbreak it - which was 5.1) using iTunes - then see what SHSH blobs can be found, using the same method above?

Matt

PS - I need to revert it to 5.0 (or earlier)as my sister requires it to run some software that isn't compatible with anything later than 5.0.1

You cannot downgrade without SHSH blobs. Cannot be done.

You MUST restore to 5.1.1. You have no choice mate.

What software are you talking about that isn't compatible with iOS above 5.0.1?