What's new

charging problem!!

tumble220

Reaction score
Hi. I have an iphone 6S and recently it wouldnt charge. It had a new battery and worked fine. But what ive fond out that it does, that if the battery have life in it, it will charge fine. When the battery runs down flat, it wont charge. Basically then, it will charge fine when its got charge left in it, but if its left to run completely flat, it wont charge then. Could it be the charging IC and is it repairable?. Any help and advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks, Gary.

Hi Gary, what you describe could be a problem with U2 IC, which can be damaged by third party chargers and cables. It can be repaired, but I recommend you take it to authorised Apple repairer.

I think, and am probably wrong again as usual, that draining a Li ion battery completely or almost so isn't very good for it.

Reactions: 933
I'm not sure that it is a problem for lithium-ion batteries, NI-Cads, definitely but not lithium-ion batteries. I totally discharge the iPhone's battery 4 or 5 times a year to keep the battery meter accurate as the battery ages and doesn't hold as much as when it was new. I've have never had any battery issues because of it.

Last edited:
It is a problem for Lithium ion batteries, but the charging circuit is supposed to shut the device down before the battery is completely drained. Works the same way in laptops.

This phone is for charging IC
if charging connector has been already replaced ?
If charging connector has been already replaced and battery
And if the iPhone battery goes dead and does not restart
Then it is for charging IC

Hi. I have an iphone 6S and recently it wouldnt charge. It had a new battery and worked fine. But what ive fond out that it does, that if the battery have life in it, it will charge fine. When the battery runs down flat, it wont charge. Basically then, it will charge fine when its got charge left in it, but if its left to run completely flat, it wont charge then. Could it be the charging IC and is it repairable?. Any help and advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks, Gary.
Had the same problem. I found if I plugged it into my computer instead of the wall charger it seemed to work. Also my 6s had a bad battery. Part of the recalled batteries or whatever, I actually just sent mine off for a free battery replacement hopefully it fixes that issue among others I had.