What's new

Changing synching computers

diver110

Reaction score
I want to synch my iphone with a different computer than I have in the past. Apparently, you can only synch with one computer. When I go to synch it says something like, this will erase what is on your iphone now and replace it with the synched material. That is okay with me, provided nothing happens to what I have in "contacts." That is actually synched with my work computer. Is it only itunes music, audiobooks, etc. that is affected? Are my contacts safe?

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question, but I know that if you have your iPhone "backed-up" on another computer with iTunes, you should always be able to get you Contacts back if you lose them. This happened to me while using iTunes, which is a horrible, despicable program filled with danger. (That was cool, huh) Anyway, if you have a back-up elsewhere, you should be OK.

Note: I've got my iPhone backed up on at least 3 computers, and I'm confident my settings are safe.

This is the nightmare from apple, I have 2 iphone registered on 1 PC, I didn't know which account I have to restore and all my data was gone just like that..

This is the nightmare from apple, I have 2 iphone registered on 1 PC, I didn't know which account I have to restore and all my data was gone just like that..

Sorry about that. iTunes should be illegal!!

Perhaps the next version of iOS (iOS 5, I hope) will make many of these processes easier.

The easiest way to make sure your contacts are always safe is to import them into your GMail account, then set up your GMail account as an Exchange account on your phone and sync contacts. That way, your contacts are always there, and any change you make to your contacts on your iPhone sync with your Gmail account automatically over the air, and vice versa.

If you ever signed into the Facebook app from your phone, then your contacts are not safe. :)

iCrank said:
If you ever signed into the Facebook app from your phone, then your contacts are not safe. :)

Really? Because I've synced my contacts with Facebook. Now can you access my contacts?

They are as secure on Facebook as they are on any server. Could they be hacked on Facebook? Sure. So can GMail, so can an Exchange Server.

I wasn't referring to personal security for your contacts. I was referring to the fact that a long as they are on your GMail account and it's synced to your phone, you don't have to worry about losing then just because you wiped the data on your iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4 direct to you

MrOrange645 said:
Really? Because I've synced my contacts with Facebook. Now can you access my contacts?

They are as secure on Facebook as they are on any server. Could they be hacked on Facebook? Sure. So can GMail, so can an Exchange Server.

I wasn't referring to personal security for your contacts. I was referring to the fact that a long as they are on your GMail account and it's synced to your phone, you don't have to worry about losing then just because you wiped the data on your iPhone.

I was just making a statement. Not a offensive one by the way. There is a supposed attack by anonymous that's suppose to take place in nov. 5th. So I wouldn't trust facebook either.

I took no offense. I was just making a counter point. And I would take the Anonymous threat seriously if anyone here is not familiar with them. They recently hacked over seventy law enforcement websites and they are a very malicious organization.

MrOrange645 said:
I took no offense. I was just making a counter point. And I would take the Anonymous threat seriously if anyone here is not familiar with them. They recently hacked over seventy law enforcement websites and they are a very malicious organization.

I keep up with the times.

iCrank said:
I keep up with the times.

I figured you did. That was really meant for anyone here who hadn't heard of that group.

The easiest way to make sure your contacts are always safe is to import them into your GMail account, then set up your GMail account as an Exchange account on your phone and sync contacts. That way, your contacts are always there, and any change you make to your contacts on your iPhone sync with your Gmail account automatically over the air, and vice versa.

MrOrange, help me out here, please.
I initially got my GMail Contacts onto my iPhone, and now they're inside my Contacts icon... I'm not sure whether I used the Exchange service or not -- does it matter?

Anyway, my question: how do I get all the UPDATED Contacts from my iPhone (which I've added to over the months) back to my GMail account's contacts?? Basically, I'd like to "synch" my GMail contacts so that BOTH locations have the same data. And to do this without losing any info. Anything you can say will help. Thanks.

I want to synch my iphone with a different computer than I have in the past. Apparently, you can only synch with one computer. When I go to synch it says something like, this will erase what is on your iphone now and replace it with the synched material. That is okay with me, provided nothing happens to what I have in "contacts." That is actually synched with my work computer. Is it only itunes music, audiobooks, etc. that is affected? Are my contacts safe?

Yeah, your contacts, SMS, mms, pictures and recorded videos will all be fine, but the rest like musics applications and other files will be gone.