What's new

Cellular data and wifi

xpac

Reaction score
I have a Verizon iphone4 and was wondering how data transmits when I'm in an area with both wifi and cellular data enabled. Does wifi take priority or do both work simultaneously? The reason I'm wondering is if I'm in a congested wifi area might it be better (faster) to disable wifi or does the data automatically choose the fastest pipeline (which would be cellular in this example)?

xpac said:
I have a Verizon iphone4 and was wondering how data transmits when I'm in an area with both wifi and cellular data enabled. Does wifi take priority or do both work simultaneously? The reason I'm wondering is if I'm in a congested wifi area might it be better (faster) to disable wifi or does the data automatically choose the fastest pipeline (which would be cellular in this example)?

If you have wifi enabled and you have ask to join locations it will continue to try to get that signal. It's a battery eater, so I'm not recommending you leave wifi or ask to join locations on. Wifi always takes priority over 3G unless you cant connect to a wifi hotspot. Otherwise your phone will operate in 3G. Do you get what I'm saying? I'm tired so please don't take offense.

iCrank said:
If you have wifi enabled and you have ask to join locations it will continue to try to get that signal. It's a battery eater, so I'm not recommending you leave wifi or ask to join locations on. Wifi always takes priority over 3G unless you cant connect to a wifi hotspot. Otherwise your phone will operate in 3G. Do you get what I'm saying? I'm tired so please don't take offense.

Yep makes perfect sense if I'm in a crowded sports bar trying to track my fantasy team it's best to disable wifi lol

iCrank said:

Yep makes perfect sense tomorrow the sports bar I go to has free wifi but it get way too congested so my best bet would be to disable wifi

xpac said:
Yep makes perfect sense if I'm in a crowded sports bar trying to track my fantasy team it's best to disable wifi lol

Yes. Unless that bar offers wifi. Lol. Then you can use that.