What's new

Can't sync music to iPhone using iTunes

Aaaaaat

Reaction score
My wife has an iPhone4 with up-to-date software, and we have iTunes 10.5.2.11 on our computer. I have been unable to put any music on her phone using iTunes. I have selected "Manually manage music and videos" on the iTunes "Summary" tab for her iPhone. (That seems to be the first advice everyone has for this problem, and it seems to be all that was necessary for some people, but it sure hasn't solved my problem.)

When I drag and drop a song onto her device in iTunes, it shows up in iTunes under the "Music" on her device, but the song title, time, artist, etc. are all in gray type instead of black type, and the song cannot be played in iTunes from that menu. (It plays perfectly fine from the Library.) For every song that I try, it's the same thing. And when I try to sync after dropping all of the songs she wanted on her iPhone, it goes through the syncing process, but none of the songs ever show up on her phone, and they're all still gray on iTunes. If I "eject" her device and then reconnect it, iTunes shows it as not having any music on it.

Also, she had 10 songs on her iPhone that she did not want, and iTunes never recognized them when the device was connected or synced. I have since deleted them off her phone (using Settings>General>Usage>Music), but maybe iTunes' inability to "see" them on her phone is related to iTunes' inability to put anything on her phone.

By the way, when the iPhone is connected, iTunes recognizes it just fine and even knows what apps she has and what her background photo is -- but it seems completely unable to transfer files. I've tried music files and video files and have had the same problem. We haven't had these problems with any of our family's iPods or iPod Touches, just her iPhone4.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Connect her phone and instead of clicking on the summary tab click music have a look at my settings. And than just tick whatever you want "Playlist","Album".....that should do it

$Screen Shot 2012-04-10 at 11.52.01.jpg

Connect her phone and instead of clicking on the summary tab click music have a look at my settings. And than just tick whatever you want "Playlist","Album".....that should do it

View attachment 6156

Thanks for the reply, but I had already tried that, too. I created a Playlist with the songs to put on her iPhone, then dragged and dropped the entire Playlist onto the phone. The Playlist then shows up as being on her phone, but again, all of the songs are in gray type, and none of the music (or the Playlist) shows up on her phone after syncing. If I then "eject" and reconnect her iPhone, iTunes once again shows it as having no Playlist or music on it.

Aaaaaat said:
Thanks for the reply, but I had already tried that, too. I created a Playlist with the songs to put on her iPhone, then dragged and dropped the entire Playlist onto the phone. The Playlist then shows up as being on her phone, but again, all of the songs are in gray type, and none of the music (or the Playlist) shows up on her phone after syncing. If I then "eject" and reconnect her iPhone, iTunes once again shows it as having no Playlist or music on it.

If the songs are grayed out in iTunes that means the songs were some how delete off of your computer, but are still showing in iTunes. You have to redownload the songs.

If the songs are grayed out in iTunes that means the songs were some how delete off of your computer, but are still showing in iTunes. You have to redownload the songs.

As I mentioned, all of the songs play just fine from the Library, and we've had no problem putting songs or movies on any of our iPods or iPod Touches. This problem occurs only when trying to put songs or movies on this iPhone4.

For example, I can play a song from the Library, then drag and drop it onto the iPhone. The song is then listed as being on the iPhone, but it is in gray type and cannot play from the iPhone's "Music" menu in iTunes. It also never shows up on the iPhone itself after syncing. I know the file is on my computer because I can listen to it from the Library just fine, and I can put it on other devices just fine.

Aaaaaat said:
As I mentioned, all of the songs play just fine from the Library, and we've had no problem putting songs or movies on any of our iPods or iPod Touches. This problem occurs only when trying to put songs or movies on this iPhone4.

For example, I can play a song from the Library, then drag and drop it onto the iPhone. The song is then listed as being on the iPhone, but it is in gray type and cannot play from the iPhone's "Music" menu in iTunes. It also never shows up on the iPhone itself after syncing. I know the file is on my computer because I can listen to it from the Library just fine, and I can put it on other devices just fine.

Did you run Sync Diagnostics?

Aaaaaat said:
Yes. It said the phone passed all tests successfully.

Usually does....even when there is a problem. Either that or it really is not a sync problem.

Are you on a Mac or PC?

Usually does....even when there is a problem. Either that or it really is not a sync problem.

Are you on a Mac or PC?

PC.

By the way, my daughter just added a song to her iPod with no problem. When she connected her iPod, iTunes recognized all of the music that was already on her phone -- nothing was in gray text, and she could play the songs from her iPod's menu in iTunes. She added the song, synced it, and the song was on her iPod within seconds.

None of that works with my wife's iPhone. It never recognized any songs that were already on the iPhone (before I deleted them), any songs we try to add are in gray text and cannot be played in iTunes, and the songs that we add to her phone in iTunes never get onto the iPhone when we try syncing it.

Aaaaaat said:
PC.

By the way, my daughter just added a song to her iPod with no problem. When she connected her iPod, iTunes recognized all of the music that was already on her phone -- nothing was in gray text, and she could play the songs from her iPod's menu in iTunes. She added the song, synced it, and the song was on her iPod within seconds.

None of that works with my wife's iPhone. It never recognized any songs that were already on the iPhone (before I deleted them), any songs we try to add are in gray text and cannot be played in iTunes, and the songs that we add to her phone in iTunes never get onto the iPhone when we try syncing it.

Okay. That is strange, and have never heard of this particular problem.

However....I have a few ideas.

Try deleting all music on your iPhone.

The easiest way to do this is to enter the Settngs app.

Settings> General> Usage> Music.

You can simply swipe the Music app tab to show the "Delete" button. Press it. This will Delete all music on your phone.

Next hard reboot...hold both home and sleep button simultaneously until the phone reboots.

Next:

Usually when you do this, iTunes still shows that there is music on your device. You need to make iTunes recognize that there is no music on your phone before you continue. This is trial and error. But hopefully it won't be for you.

I had to simply click the "Sync" button in the Summary tab in iTunes when my phone was plugged in.

Once iTunes recognizes that your phone has no music, sync it all back.

I personally recommend you click and enable "Manually Manage Music" so your can just drag an given song/playlist/app to your device through iTunes.

Unless you already have that enabled, then try syncing music back by the "Music" tab on the large window beside "Summary".

Mary123 said:
first of all. update itunes to 10.6.1.

Sent from my iPhone using Doopris

Why are you assuming they didn't update iTunes to 10.6.1. They never said that.lol.

Why are you assuming they didn't update iTunes to 10.6.1. They never said that.lol.

In my first post, I said we have iTunes 10.5.2.11. I will update it tonight and see if anything works better.

Aaaaaat said:
In my first post, I said we have iTunes 10.5.2.11. I will update it tonight and see if anything works better.

Damn loose again.lol. Sorry.

For future reference iTunes should always be updated. Any time you see an update...update....the mess of iTunes can only get better.lol.

Perhaps the update in itself will fix the issues.....hopefully.

Okay. That is strange, and have never heard of this particular problem.

However....I have a few ideas.

Try deleting all music on your iPhone.

The easiest way to do this is to enter the Settngs app.

Settings> General> Usage> Music.

You can simply swipe the Music app tab to show the "Delete" button. Press it. This will Delete all music on your phone.

Next hard reboot...hold both home and sleep button simultaneously until the phone reboots.

Next:

Usually when you do this, iTunes still shows that there is music on your device. You need to make iTunes recognize that there is no music on your phone before you continue. This is trial and error. But hopefully it won't be for you.

I had to simply click the "Sync" button in the Summary tab in iTunes when my phone was plugged in.

Once iTunes recognizes that your phone has no music, sync it all back.

I personally recommend you click and enable "Manually Manage Music" so your can just drag an given song/playlist/app to your device through iTunes.

Unless you already have that enabled, then try syncing music back by the "Music" tab on the large window beside "Summary".

I had already deleted all of the music that was on the iPhone before posting here. The problem was the same before deleting the music that was on the phone as it is after deleting it.

Also, I've tried manually managing it, syncing playlists and everything else that people have recommended -- still no success.

I'll update iTunes tonight and see if that helps.

For future reference iTunes should always be updated. Any time you see an update...update....the mess of iTunes can only get better.lol.

Perhaps the update in itself will fix the issues.....hopefully.

I thought it was set to update -- or notify us to update -- as needed, but I guess not.