What's new

Can't retrieve photos from iCloud.

Jlsawyer

Reaction score
My wife drowned her 3GS and just got her a 4. However she first backed up from I tunes. Now she can't get her photos on the cloud back on her phone. The cloud shows 2 different files but it won't let me access the one I want. Any ideas?

Jlsawyer said:
My wife drowned her 3GS and just got her a 4. However she first backed up from I tunes. Now she can't get her photos on the cloud back on her phone. The cloud shows 2 different files but it won't let me access the one I want. Any ideas?

Restore, setup as new, not from backup. Your photos will still be backed up in iCloud, I recommend before restoring that you turn on contacts in the iCloud section of the settings app (make sure you ate connected to wifi) that way when you setup as new, anything that is toggled on in iCloud settings will be saved as long as you choose to "use iCloud" when setting up the phone.

I recommend that after the restore is done, and phone reboots, don't click anything in iTunes, just start setting up the phone via the on screen instructions.

Choose to setup as new, and when asking to backup choose backup to iTunes, but also choose to setup as new. do not restore from an iCloud backup or iTunes backup.

And as always, always choose "don't send" when Apple ask to send data.

Once you tap "start using phone" now in iTunes, click setup as new device.

Wait for the sync process to finish.

Now lets get your photo stream working properly. Please make sure to connect to wifi, as this is how iCloud works properly.

Once you are connected to wifi, open Settings> Photos> Toggle Photo Stream on. Now close the settings app

Then open the photos app and patiently wait for all your photos to load. The more you have......the longer it will take.

iCloud is still in beta, and to be honest I think the whole Photo stream thing is a train wreck. I use Dropbox to backup photos. Just can't go wrong with Dropbox.