What's new

Can't login after upgrade to iOS 5

pad971

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4 that syncs with iTunes 10.5 on a PC. I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 5, which seemed to be successful. After upgrading it won't accept my passcode. Before the upgrade, the phone presented the numeric keypad (therefore the passcode is a number) and now it presents the alphanumeric keypad. When I enter the old passcode it says it's wrong.

Anyone know how to deal with this problem other than restore and wiping all my data?

BTW it was the STRONG passcode, not the 4 digit passcode.

pad971 said:
I have an iPhone 4 that syncs with iTunes 10.5 on a PC. I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 5, which seemed to be successful. After upgrading it won't accept my passcode. Before the upgrade, the phone presented the numeric keypad (therefore the passcode is a number) and now it presents the alphanumeric keypad. When I enter the old passcode it says it's wrong.

Anyone know how to deal with this problem other than restore and wiping all my data?

Need to use your apple ID pass code

Thanks. I thought of that but it doesn't accept that either. BTW: It was during this upgrade that I was forced to change my Apple ID from a non-email Apple ID (that I have had since day one years ago with Apple and iTunes) to an email Apple ID. I tested the password for my new email Apple ID by logging out of iTunes and logging back in with the new email Apple ID and my Apple ID passcode. It worked. However that very same passcode nor the original (before upgrading to iOS 5) passcode are accepted by the iPhone. It keeps telling me wrong passcode.

Also, it's too late, I tried 10 times and it has wiped itself clean so now I'm hosed.

-- pad971

The saga ends with my phone wiping itself after 10 wrong passwords. Then I tried to go through the process that the iphone provides after that. It got to the point where it asked where I wanted to get the backup from. I choose iTunes. It did stuff but it never got past the "connect me to iTunes" screen. The only option I had left was to hit the "Restore" button in iTunes. When I did, it said it was synching (but it wasn't) and did I want to stop that to restore. Yes, I do. It did the restore then asked me what I wanted to restore as a backup. It had made some sort of back today, but I (wisely) chose yesterday's backup that it made when I did the upgrade. After a lot of activity. It restored all of my apps and data.

It also told me I had to set a new passcode this time!!! Which it didn't the first time. All is well now after about 24 hours of angnst.

The saga ends with my phone wiping itself after 10 wrong passwords. Then I tried to go through the process that the iphone provides after that. It got to the point where it asked where I wanted to get the backup from. I choose iTunes. It did stuff but it never got past the "connect me to iTunes" screen. The only option I had left was to hit the "Restore" button in iTunes. When I did, it said it was synching (but it wasn't) and did I want to stop that to restore. Yes, I do. It did the restore then asked me what I wanted to restore as a backup. It had made some sort of back today, but I (wisely) chose yesterday's backup that it made when I did the upgrade. After a lot of activity. It restored all of my apps and data.

It also told me I had to set a new passcode this time!!! Which it didn't the first time. All is well now after about 24 hours of angnst.

The iOS 5 upgrade had a very disturbing affect on passwords that I had to replicate and tell apple. If had short password iOS 4.x, and exchange, exchange would ask for pwd. It was strong. Entering reset iOS device to strong locking me out with unknown pwd. Days and hours later and accidentally hitting buttons in right sequence found and fixed problem. Wonder if this related?

Happy to provide details if others find useful