What's new

Can't edit contacts on Ios5

rdub

Reaction score
I updated my iphone4 a week or so ago to ios5 and now I've realized I can't add or delete contacts anyone know how to fix this?

I have never seen this issue before. Try a DFU Restore. But, before you restore transfer your contacts to your SIM card (if you are in AT&T). If not just restore. And then setup as new iPhone. Just make sure your contacts are saved somewhere else. You may have to manually put them back into your iPhone. This is not the best possible solution but its the only on I could think of... Good luck.

Hmmm… ok thanks, I can still add if a new number sends me a text message, i just can't add or delete any other way, think I'll put up with it for now, probably goin to jb once an untethered version comes out. Thanks again tho.

Here is the real solution to your problem.

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > iCloud/ or whatever email account you have (I used iCloud) > Turn on Contacts and Calendars (don't worry if it merges) > TADA. It should work (well, for must people anyways). Once you got it working, you can go back and de-toggle Contacts and Calendars.

Worked, iCloud was turned off, thanks!

Yea, I could've sworn my first iPhone [3G] allowed me to edit my contacts/ put each contact into it's own group. But now it seems as though you need to download a contacts app that allows creation of groups for contacts in order to due so.
Why is that?

iFrog said:
Here is the real solution to your problem.

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > iCloud/ or whatever email account you have (I used iCloud) > Turn on Contacts and Calendars (don't worry if it merges) > TADA. It should work (well, for must people anyways). Once you got it working, you can go back and de-toggle Contacts and Calendars.

Worked for me too exactly as you described. THANKS!

Ok.....so me and my husband share our icloud (so that our calendars etc merge) but if I switch on the contacts button it will merge my contacts with his and that's no good....help?????????? I have had this problem since the update came out and I am desperate to sort my messy contacts out

Ok.....so me and my husband share our icloud (so that our calendars etc merge) but if I switch on the contacts button it will merge my contacts with his and that's no good....help?????????? I have had this problem since the update came out and I am desperate to sort my messy contacts out
Get your own iCloud account
Its free and easy to merge calendars, reminders etc