What's new

Can't delete one particular app

JohnBravo

Reaction score
It's called Browser Translator. You can find it in the Apple app store. I deleted the app, but it reappears randomly on my screen now and then. I tried deleting it in safe mode, I tried reinstalling and uninstalling it, but each time I reboot or respring, it's back again. One day, my phone ran out of battery and when I charge it and it rebooted... you guessed it. The app is back again, but this time, I can't even delete it! I hold down the app and it wiggles but the x is missing! The other apps work fine.

Please help?

It's called Browser Translator. You can find it in the Apple app store. I deleted the app, but it reappears randomly on my screen now and then. I tried deleting it in safe mode, I tried reinstalling and uninstalling it, but each time I reboot or respring, it's back again. One day, my phone ran out of battery and when I charge it and it rebooted... you guessed it. The app is back again, but this time, I can't even delete it! I hold down the app and it wiggles but the x is missing! The other apps work fine.

Please help?

I have never seen that behavior before on an app downloaded from the AppStore. Are you syncing with iTunes in between reboots and such - I've noticed that apps sometimes get loaded back on if I do a sync, even after I've done the "transfer purchases" option.

Have you tried deleting it in iTunes, then syncing your phone nback to iTunes? It won't remove it from your purchases list in the store (all apps you "buy" - even the free ones - are on record with Apple).

But, maybe deleting it from iTunes will help?

Marilyn

Have you tried going to Settings>General>Usage and scroll down the list of installed apps until you find the app you're looking for. Swipe the app in either direction, then swipe the app in either direction and tap the red delete button that appears.

Let us know if this works?

Going to guess this is a jailbroken iPhone. Reason for the guess is the app probably left a bookmark on the jailbroken side of the file system. Which can be set as undeleteable. Saw this exact behavior with some free Cydia apps during the four hours I was jailbroken before swearing I would never do that again.

Going to guess this is a jailbroken iPhone. Reason for the guess is the app probably left a bookmark on the jailbroken side of the file system. Which can be set as undeleteable. Saw this exact behavior with some free Cydia apps during the four hours I was jailbroken before swearing I would never do that again.

Thanks for pointing out to me its the jailbreak side of things makin trouble for me, guys. I went to ifile and sure enough, it was lurking in the unremovable side of the phone and I promptly annihilated that thing. Sorry jailbreak didn't work that well for you, but its working wonders for me and I can't imagine my phone without it. I'd say give it a try again but I doubt you would.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for pointing out to me its the jailbreak side of things makin trouble for me, guys. I went to ifile and sure enough, it was lurking in the unremovable side of the phone and I promptly annihilated that thing. Sorry jailbreak didn't work that well for you, but its working wonders for me and I can't imagine my phone without it. I'd say give it a try again but I doubt you would.

Glad you were able to fix it. And you would be very correct about jailbreaking again. But the reason why is actually very rational.

Rooting Android is about getting it more stable and increasing battery life. Jailbreaking iOS actually causes instability, unexpected operation and decreases battery life.

Your particular situation reinforces my axiom. If your phone had been stock, you would not have had this issue. If your phone had been Android and rooted, you would not have had this issue.