What's new

Cannot restore iphone 4 running 5.1.1 and absinthe 2.0

sperley03

Reaction score
I want to unjailbreak my iphone 4 but every time i try using the restore it extracts the files then says error cannot restore "iphone". I downloaded the file to restore back to 5.1.1 and use the shift+restore procedure and select the file. Ive read a few threads about you have to enter dfu mode and still comes up the same. I need help, not really sure what to do now as this phone needs to be sent back to Verizon.
I got the phone out of dfu mode and now im at a standstill. I thought unjailbreaking was just as easy as jailbreaking but I guess not.

Subd I need to unjailbreak my 4s afterworld today to take it to the apple store

Tapatalk'd from my iPhone 4s

sperley03 said:
I want to unjailbreak my iphone 4 but every time i try using the restore it extracts the files then says error cannot restore "iphone". I downloaded the file to restore back to 5.1.1 and use the shift+restore procedure and select the file. Ive read a few threads about you have to enter dfu mode and still comes up the same. I need help, not really sure what to do now as this phone needs to be sent back to Verizon.
I got the phone out of dfu mode and now im at a standstill. I thought unjailbreaking was just as easy as jailbreaking but I guess not.

Last edited:
UPDATE: so i read the thread in the how to guide on how to fix error 3194 and downloaded tinyumbrella. I unchecked the box request shsh from cydia and tried to restore and still coming up with the same error.
dont know what to do now.

You can only restore if you saved your shsh for 5.1.1

Well, I followed the tutorial step by step, so how can i find out I saved them? So you mean I cannot restore at all?

I read another thread where you keep tinyumbrella running and connect to tss server then connect to itunes and restore. Now I come up with error 11. So frustrating.

5.1.1 is still being signed, there is no reason to use TinyUmbrella, that is only if you are trying to restore an old firmware that is not being signed anymore. Make sure your iTunes is up to date, make sure you have no references to "gs.apple.com" in your HOSTS file and restore in DFU mode.

Yeah well I thought it was that easy as well. And I read in a post that you can either use tiny umbrella OR manually edit the hosts files yourself. I'll try editing them myself when I get home and get back to you.

You have to enter DFU mode for it to work. And use the 5.1.1 that iTunes downloads for you and it will work. I would try a couple more times, more than likely you were not in DFU mode and just thought you were.

You have to enter DFU mode for it to work. And use the 5.1.1 that iTunes downloads for you and it will work. I would try a couple more times, more than likely you were not in DFU mode and just thought you were.

Tried it in dfu mode twice, first try the screen went black, second try it showed the iTunes label and the usb cord. Both were done by holding the home and power buttons for 10 seconds then release either the power button or home, can't really remember and don't have the tutorial handy.
One thing you mentioned is check for update on itunes, I should prob do that since I didn't. Gonna be a long night of downloading I can see already. I'm going to let itunes download the restore file instead of using the link in the tutorials.

If you saw the iTunes logo you weren't in DFU mode. In DFU mode the screen will be completely black and you will not see anything.

Ok, came home and found 2 references of gs.apple.com and went to delete and it asked if I want to save. I clicked yes and said I could not save file unless as a txt document, what do I do here?
Just updated new version of itunes, now downloading the big file for ios 5.1.1

Well, now itunes is giving me problems. Says cannot install update, network resources unavailable. Now cannot update, nor uninstall itunes. WTH, seriously? I'm leaning back towards my Android more and more, seems like the more I get into with Apple, the deeper I get with no sight of the light.
Going to do some more reading......I might just go buy a new laptop tomorrow as I can't connect to any WiFi now either.

My 4s restored with one click on restore in iTunes unjailbrook and took it to apple for a fix. Tomorrow I'm gonna jailbreak it again

Tapatalk'd from my iPhone 4s

Ok, came home and found 2 references of gs.apple.com and went to delete and it asked if I want to save. I clicked yes and said I could not save file unless as a txt document, what do I do here?
Just updated new version of itunes, now downloading the big file for ios 5.1.1

You need to run Notepad as administrator in order to save changes to your HOSTS file since it is a protected system file.