What's new

Can I use that better keyboard all the time?

Nashvillian

Reaction score
When I address an email, I get a keyboard that has a smaller space bar and a period and @ sign. I sure wish there was a way to use that keyboard all the time. What would be even better than that would be to have the bottom row of keys that appear when you hit the "123" key visible ALL the time as an additional row right above the space bar. I'd gladly accept smaller keys in order to keep from having to toggle the "123" key so often.

Does anyone know of a way?

Last edited:
The keyboard changes according to the type of input expected. What you can do to avoid having to toggle between keyboards is press and hold the 123 key, then slide your finger to the number you want. When you release the number, the keyboard will return to the normal QWERTY layout so you can carry on typing.

The keyboard changes according to the type of input expected. What you can do to avoid having to toggle between keyboards is press and hold the 123 key, then slide your finger to the number you want. When you release the number, the keyboard will return to the normal QWERTY layout so you can carry on typing.
thanks for that tip Kevin,i didnt know about that,works great on ipad too.

Nashvillian said:
When I address an email, I get a keyboard that has a smaller space bar and a period and @ sign. I sure wish there was a way to use that keyboard all the time. What would be even better than that would be to have the bottom row of keys that appear when you hit the "123" key visible ALL the time as an additional row right above the space bar. I'd gladly accept smaller keys in order to keep from having to toggle the "123" key so often.

Does anyone know of a way?

I still think the keyboard design is idiotic. The numbers should be visible along with the letters like a regular keyboards. Why can not the designers see this? I am sure there could be a software update to change the keyboard.

Sent from my 64gb iPad 1

Why indeed? There is a 5 row keyboard available if you jailbreak, but that's your only way out of this one.

The rest of us just live in hope.

Even on a jailbroken iPhone with 5 row keyboard or ikeywi, it still works off of the base keyboard itself depending on which fields you're trying to type in. The only good thing about it is that you can mod the types of buttons on the top most row that's being added through the tweak. You can mod those top 10 keys but they won't be in the same position as they were when the specific field triggers a specific set of keyboard