What's new

Can I unlock my iPhone without restoring?

zuluwhiskeyfox

Reaction score
My cell phone carrier is Rogers in Canada. Rogers will allow a person to unlock their phones under certain circumstances. I qualify to be allowed to unlock. For a fee of course. The instructions say to contact the big Rogers in the sky and they charge $50. Then they say I must restore my phone. Well I'm not real crazy about restoring. I don't want to lose my jailbreak. So I'm wondering if there is any way to do this with a simple sync? Is there some way to get my iTunes to pick up the necessary whatever to unlock?

... I don't want to lose my jailbreak....

The key phrase that answers your question. On a stock device, usually a hard reset would do or just plugging it into iTunes and updating carrier settings would do (most cases). On a jailbroken devices, you can install SAMprefs through Cydia to deactivate your phone, then go through the activation process again.

EDIT: The source that you have to add is "http://repo.bingner.com"

The key phrase that answers your question. On a stock device, usually a hard reset would do or just plugging it into iTunes and updating carrier settings would do (most cases). On a jailbroken devices, you can install SAMprefs through Cydia to deactivate your phone, then go through the activation process again.

EDIT: The source that you have to add is "http://repo.bingner.com"

I did as you recommended above. It worked like a charm.

Thank you.

There wasn't really anything to the re-activation process. When I plugged it back into iTunes after deactivating I got a message saying "congratulations your phone is unlocked" click continue. So I click continue and sync. That's it.

That's pretty much all that's required for an unlock to take effect. By default, the only ways to re-do the activation process is by restoring or by using the Reset All Settings.app option, which isn't jailbreak friendly. As long as you get to the setup process again, you won't have to restore the device or lose data to have your unlock kick in.

Sent from my iPad Mini via Tapa