What's new

Can I transfer an active ESN 4s to another line?

2.7t

Reaction score
There is a local guy who is selling his 4S for $200 on good ol Craigslist. The phone is currently on and working. (service wise) He is not going to cancel his contract at all because he has no money. Since the phone is still active and if I were to buy it, can that phone be used on another account? I'm thinking no because the ESN is registered on his account so I can't transfer to mine. I need a 100% answer as I don't want to lose $200 Also how long does it take for Sprint to cancel a nonpayment line so that the phone's ESN can be used on another account?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't answer your specific question, but I just saw a new, sealed 16GB Sprint 4s "Buy it Now" on Ebay for $285..... With Ebay's Buyer Protection, it'd be worth the $85 for piece of mind. I wouldn't trust a phone of Craiglist personally! I know you didn't ask my opinion on that though. LOL!

Last edited:
No it wouldn't work if it's on currently active on his BUT what he could do is put any other phone on his account as a dummy phone if he doesn't plan on using it or activate a new phone on his line if he still plans on keeping his service active, he just needs to activate a new phone so the iPhone 4S can be released.

There is a local guy who is selling his 4S for $200 on good ol Craigslist. The phone is currently on and working. (service wise) He is not going to cancel his contract at all because he has no money. Since the phone is still active and if I were to buy it, can that phone be used on another account? I'm thinking no because the ESN is registered on his account so I can't transfer to mine. I need a 100% answer as I don't want to lose $200 Also how long does it take for Sprint to cancel a nonpayment line so that the phone's ESN can be used on another account?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Hi,
You cannot activate a currently activated phone onto your Sprint account. When you try to it will show up as invalid or already activated. I recently bought a 4S without knowing it was activated. (checked Esn but the site I used didn't show it was activated) Anyways, I jailbroke a iPhone 5C that I believe was activated and then it was able to be activated on another account. I was going to try with my 4S but it is on 7.1 and cannot be jailbroken.
Hope this helps.