What's new

Can I sync my iPhone and different iPad?

elmo0901

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4 and my Dad has an iPad 2 but there is only one computer between the two of us. What are we to do about syncing his to iTunes? He has an account with iTunes but not thru my computer. Not sure what to do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to share apps on each device without having to pay additional money you will need to synch each device with the same iTunes account and iTunes library.

And if I want to keep all of our apps and info separate?

you can use as many apple applications as you need on one computer but soon with ios 5 you wont need the computer you will be able to update over the air with icloud with apples servers that backup everything you own

Or just create different account user on the computer.

ahhh...so i can just sign into itunes under him? i know i sound dense here. And i have Mobile me but he doesn't (i'm working on him, took him forever to get the iPad) but now there's the whole iCloud issue. confusion, confusion!!!!

ahhh...so i can just sign into itunes under him? i know i sound dense here. And i have Mobile me but he doesn't (i'm working on him, took him forever to get the iPad) but now there's the whole iCloud issue. confusion, confusion!!!!

It's so easy with different account user on the computer. You login the computer with your user account and access your iTunes with all it's contents. To access the other iTunes, you log off your computer and logging with to the second computer user account and access the second iTunes and voila.

Like I thought, I was being dense! :(

It's so easy with different account user on the computer. You login the computer with your user account and access your iTunes with all it's contents. To access the other iTunes, you log off your computer and logging with to the second computer user account and access the second iTunes and voila.

Um, no viola. Couldn't sync his apps cause though you could see his screen my apps showed up, none of his did. Was signed in under his account but on my computer with my iTunes.

So if I use the same account to sync my iPhone and iPad what would happen if I needed to restore one of them. Will there be a backup of both saved?

Last edited:
Davidm said:
So if I use the same account to sync my iPhone and iPad what would happen if I needed to restore one of them. Will there be a backup of both saved?

Backups are saved for each unique device that is backed up.