What's new

camera/warranty help/advice for my iphone 5

bknewtype

Reaction score
hey all

originally posted this in the camera section since its a camera issue, but it doesnt seem much people check that section. and the advice i need isnt 100% camera related in the terms of warranty:

one of my friends pointed out that there is a piece of hair inside my camera lens. i took a look and i did indeed see it inside. never noticed it and i went back through my past pictures and stared closely and it seemed to have always been there! my phone is currently jailbroken, and my warranty is up in sept. now, normally i would bring it back to the store and just swap it out, but i do rely on my jailbreak because i am using straight talk and i need access to the APN settings. so today i manned up and took apart the phone and sprayed the lens down with an air duster, used a q tip with alchohol and dabbed both the lens and camera itself. put it back together and its still there.

is there anything else i can try? as far as i can see, theres nothing on the lens anymore and its still displaying the peice of hair in my pictures.

should i wait till august to get a exchange so when september comes i can update to ios7 and jailbreak ( assuming thats when it comes out ) and live with the hair

or

do a warranty exchange now and lose my jailbreak until sept

what would you do? thanks for the feedback. attached are pictures of the hair

View attachment 12664View attachment 12665

Does it still show in any new photos you've made? If it's still there in the new photos, a repair is indicated. Since you voided your warranty and Apple won't service a jailbroken iPad, you'll have to go to an independent repair shop. This would almost certainly have been be covered under the warranty.

Does it still show in any new photos you've made? If it's still there in the new photos, a repair is indicated. Since you voided your warranty and Apple won't service a jailbroken iPad, you'll have to go to an independent repair shop. This would almost certainly have been be covered under the warranty.

it is still there in my new photos

while i understand taking apart my iphone would void my warranty, how can they tell? from my understanding, some people just brought the phone back to the apple store, they just looked at it and gave them a new/refurb one. theres no indication that i took apart my phone. it still looks good as new. theres no broken seals or anything like that.

and i wasnt expecting them to service it. was just going to get another one. and i would of factory restored my phone before bringing it in.

it is still there in my new photos

while i understand taking apart my iphone would void my warranty, how can they tell? from my understanding, some people just brought the phone back to the apple store, they just looked at it and gave them a new/refurb one. theres no indication that i took apart my phone. it still looks good as new. theres no broken seals or anything like that.

and i wasnt expecting them to service it. was just going to get another one. and i would of factory restored my phone before bringing it in.

All you can do is take it to the Apple store and see what they say.

Just an update. I took it in today and got a new one. Sucks its a 6.1.4 so no jailbreak :(

Sent from my iPhone using the paid version of Tapatalk

I've deleted the duplicate post you made on this same subject in the iPhone Camera forum. Besides making it hard to follow the conversation, duplicate posting is against forum rules.