What's new

Buying iphone 4s on craigslist?

eric632

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying an iphone 4s on craigslist and I was wondering if there were any fakes out and what precautions I should take. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

No matter what item or device you're in the market for... there's going to be fakes. If that's all that worries you, then be sure the seller will demo the item for you in person. Personally... I would want to put my own Sim card in the phone and make and receive a phone call from my number. At the same time you have to wonder if the phone you're buying is possibly stolen. Then we're opening a whole different can of worms there...

What if it was brand new and still in the plastic wrap? Are there any fake iphone 4s' yet?

If it's "Brand New" then purchasing it is a risk you need to weigh out. Like I said in my first post... as long as there is a demand for a device (whatever it may be) there WILL be fakes floating around. Have I seen one personally or heard anyone talking about them here... no. There's only 2 places you can purchase an iDevice from and be 100% certain it's real and not hot... the Apple Store or your Wireless Carrier.

Avoid this issue on the Craigslist, its always so complicated and you may get a duplicate or a Chinese brand. SO be very careful about craigslist.

I would really suggest you to buy an iPhone 4S as this is the best technology till now. I really loved this one after hearing the cloud SIRI.

I have bought phones off Craigslist plenty if times although they were not iPhones but still I would recommend if the price is fair. I do recommend asking the person to activate the phone right there during the exchange of the money and phone that way it can be determined whether the phone was reported stolen or lost.

I think the best way to know if a device is real or not is by getting familiar with it before purchasing it (that goes for anything) get online or watch YouTube videos, that has work for me. And as in the price being reasonable? Well just check how much would it be if you buy it from apple or your carrier company and compare it to your Craigslist price,you can always negotiate well depends on the seller.

um i saw a 32gb unopened selling for 500$ which seemed kind of too good to be true but idk..

eric632 said:
I was thinking of buying an iphone 4s on craigslist and I was wondering if there were any fakes out and what precautions I should take. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

You are better off purchasing on eBay. You have eBay protection on not as described items. I

Sent from my 64gb iPad

If your considering purchasing an iPhone 4S off Craigslist, then your best course of action would be meeting at an Apple store, or the carrier it's locked to.

They can check to see if the ESN is good, and make sure the device is operational. Honestly the Apple store would be the very best option, then the wireless carrier the second best option.

If the phones legit, the seller shouldn't mind one bit. It's a lot of money to drop on a device and a good seller would realize this.

That's the best advice/input I can give to you. Good luck and I hope the transaction goes well if you do decide to purchase the device.

BTW:
I've fixed iPhones and offered to meet at the Apple store to prove the device works. The techs at the Apple store have never once minded me doing this. As long as I've made an appointment ahead of time.

:)!

Last edited:
I bought my current Iphone on craigslist. Brand new 4s 64gb still sealed in the plastic never opened paid 500 for it. I did have some concerns so I asked the guy to meet me at the Verizon store to be sure it was legit. He gladly agreed and it checked out fine. So there are legit sellers out there if they are willing to meet at the wireless carriers store thats what I would suggest.

badfish said:
I bought my current Iphone on craigslist. Brand new 4s 64gb still sealed in the plastic never opened paid 500 for it. I did have some concerns so I asked the guy to meet me at the Verizon store to be sure it was legit. He gladly agreed and it checked out fine. So there are legit sellers out there if they are willing to meet at the wireless carriers store thats what I would suggest.

Question for you - why did you buy this on Craigslist when you could have bought this from apple or the wireless carrier directly? Isn't the 64GB 399.99? Just curious.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF.net