What's new

Bricked iPhone5?

marteney1

Reaction score
I was getting ready for work the other day (the day after my fiance had updated her iPhone 5c) and was checking the weather on my phone. Everything was working fine, no worries. Put it in my pocket. Pulled it out a few minutes later to check the time, and all I got was a black screen. It was backlit, but black, and holding the home button would prompt Siri to ask what I needed. I hit the power button, and the backlight went off. I hit the home button and it backlit again, but still black. I hit the power button again - backlight off. Hit the power button again - backlight on, still black, Siri still works. Held the power button, but couldn't swipe to turn it off. Hit the power button again - backlight off. Hit the home button again, backlight on, screen black. Held home button and power button, backlight went off, phone went off.

Tried to turn it back on, and got nothing. No backlight, no sounds, no nothing. Put it in my bag and went to work. A few hours later I pulled it out to see if it was doing anything. It was warm, like it had been running, but nothing came on the screen, holding down the home button didn't prompt Siri. It didn't do anything.

When I got home, I made sure it wasn't on silent and plugged it in. It was still unlit black, and gave my text alert (heartbeat buzz, calypso type ringer) a few times, then started to make a sound similar to my email ringer, "whon"....... whon....... whon..... about 3 seconds apart. It didn't sound quite like my email ringer, but I thought maybe it was just updating my alerts. It continued to happen, and didn't do anything when I pushed the power or home buttons. No Siri, no backlight, no nothing. I thought maybe there was something wrong with my screen (I had taken it off a couple months ago to replace my fiance's 5's screen to scavenge some pictures before she turned it in on insurance and thought maybe something had come loose).

Now that I've finally had a few minutes to mess with it (I work 13+ hr days, and was finally off today, although running all over God's creation doing wedding planning stuff), I plugged it in, and it gave my text alert a couple times, then went back to "whon.... whon.... whon....." ad nauseum. No buttons do anything, but unplugging it makes the sound stop. So I backed up my computer and plugged it in there. It prompts me to download iOS 7.1, and attempts to download (while the "whon.... whon.... whon...." goes on), but fails to download. I pulled the screen while it was plugged in and the sound continued. Plugged the screen back on, and the sound continues. When I unplug it, the sound stops immediately

Switched it to silent, the sound stops but it double-buzzes at the same pace. Holding the power and home button prompts me from iTunes that my phone can't be updated because it's password protected. If I hold the power and home buttons again, the buzzing stops momentarily, then when it starts again it prompts me to unlock my phone to update, and the buzzing continues.

Sorry for the long narrative, I've tried to include as much info as I can to try to diagnose what's going on. Anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do? I didn't drop it or hit it or even sit on it in the time it went from working perfectly to an obnoxious brick.

Have you tried a hard reset? Press and hold both the power and home buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons and wait for the iPad to restart. If this doesn't work, you may have a defective screen. Your iPhone is still under warranty so you should take it in for an appointment at the Genius Bar at your nearest AppleStore. If it's determined that there is a hardware problem you should be covered under the warranty.

Last edited: