What's new

Bought used 6S+ with cracked screen. DIY Fix, Avoid Error 53?

cazrnbsn

Reaction score
Bought a used 6S Plus from a girl that didn't want to pay for the repair of a cracked screen. Not knowing all that much about repair, I was ready to dive in for a DIY on a $800 phone I paid $100 for. Along with the obliterated glass, in her infinite wisdom (and my ignorance), she dumped the Home Button saying, "it fell out". After opening the phone later, I discovered that the ribbon cable had been yanked or torn out. Not realizing at the time that the motherboard of the phone is married to the circuitry on the Home Button (biometric fingerprint reader) I now realize that once I repair this phone by replacing the digitizer, front glass screen, and home button, I can never attempt an update to new iOS upgrades or I will get ERROR 53 and helplessly "brick" my phone. This was an intentional design to keep users from repairing their phones from 3rd party part providers and they will NOT provide these OEM parts to repair shops either from what I gather. (please correct me if I'm wrong and tell me where to find them). I understand that the key to retaining the original, full functionality of the phone is to retain the use of the Home Button and you'll be OK. I've even seen people on YouTube attempting a repair on the Home Button and serial connector on the piece itself to keep from bricking their phone but that by no means is for a novice DIY project as it involves some pretty intricate work. So with all that being said,
I'd like to query & thank the iPhone Gurus in the Forum for helpful suggestions:
  • Is the repair of this 6S Plus reasonable? I have about $45 invested - glass, bezel, tools, UV glue, assembly template, plastic razors, UV light, Home Button, >90% Isopropyl Alcohol, cotton swabs
  • Can I safely move my contacts from my current phone to this phone once it's functional?
  • If I move contacts will that affect functionality?
  • Should I restore from current phone iTunes backup or let Verizon do it?
  • Who makes the best glass only screen replacement kit (glass & bezel) with the lowest price for the 6S Plus? I've seen as low as $12 with tools and UV glue. Most don't include the UV light....weird when they sell UV glue. I know some are just light-activated though.
  • Who makes the best whole front panel replacement kit (glass,bezel, digitizer/touch sensor, camera, speaker, all front screen ribbons.....all front panel equip.) for the lowest price? Prefer AA class OEM. I'm seeing around $169 on the low end.
  • Any other major considerations when doing this type of repair?
Thanks in advance for your input. Also, should we as a group petition Apple about the dysfunctional and clandestine, intentional nature of their proprietary hardware? You pay $800 + for their phone and then break a small part and then you have to give them another $228 at the least for a $3 part? That's rape! in my book. Have a great iPhone day!

Darrell

Once you've followed the instructions to solve the error 53 problem, it won't return. The solution could involve a possible restore so make sure to backup your iPhone first.

Once you've followed the instructions to solve the error 53 problem, it won't return. The solution could involve a possible restore so make sure to backup your iPhone first.

I understand what you're saying but since this is an iPhone from another individual and the phone did not function at the time she sold it to me, I would think her data is still on the phone. This indicates to me that the phone would have to be reset, clearing all the data currently on it and then (hopefully) restored using the data (iTunes backup) from my old phone (4S) to the new phone (6S Plus). Do you know if that would be possible? Or should I let Verizon (my carrier) do the transfer?

Get help with iOS update and restore errors

If you can get this iPhone working again, it's possible to set it up with the backup of the 4s.

If her data is on the iPhone, it's possible that it's still connected to her iCloud account. This means you won't be able to activate it. If possible, contact her when you manage to get it working again, and ask her to remove her iPhone from Find my iPhone.

She can remove the iPhone from Find My iPhone by logging into her account on any computer.

Hopefully she will remove it, because if she will not, I am afraid that there is not a way to remove the iCloud Lock (Activation SCreen) from an iPhone, only the original owner. A friend of mine learn this with the hard way, after buying a software that could do that (it didn't of course) and after buying an iCloud Unlock service (Which is not working as well).

If you can get this iPhone working again, it's possible to set it up with the backup of the 4s.

If her data is on the iPhone, it's possible that it's still connected to her iCloud account. This means you won't be able to activate it. If possible, contact her when you manage to get it working again, and ask her to remove her iPhone from Find my iPhone.
Thanks JA

Hopefully she will remove it, because if she will not, I am afraid that there is not a way to remove the iCloud Lock (Activation SCreen) from an iPhone, only the original owner. A friend of mine learn this with the hard way, after buying a software that could do that (it didn't of course) and after buying an iCloud Unlock service (Which is not working as well).
Thanks Lauren, I was able to contact the Seller and BION, she gave me her Username and Password to iTunes so I could do it myself. She is showing amazing trust in my confidence and I will honor that. So should I just sign into her account and remove this phone from her "Find My iPhone" and "iCloud" account? I have no idea how to do this as I have never done it. Wouldn't a factory reset "Erase All Settings" eliminate the need for this? Or would those entities remain on the phone? Thanks,

Darrell

Erasing all content and settings will remove data and settings on the iPhone. Before you can erase everything, you'll have to sign out of iCloud, and disable Find my iPhone. This will remove the device from her iCloud account, so you don't have to login to her account to remove it there.

Last post was a month ago. I'm curious what the outcome was?

I'm curious too, Hopefully the OP will come back and update us.