What's new

Both Iphone 4s AT&T & Verizon

aleklevi

Reaction score
Hello,

New guy on the block here.
I just bought a new 4S that is working on AT&T

I also bought a 4s for my girlfriend that is on Verizon,
when we went to activate it, the verizon guys said it was reported stolen so we were unable to activate it.
I bought the Verizon 4s off of craigslist and the seller is not responding, so a return doesn't seem possible.

The next step is to try for both of us to have working 4s'.

I was going to unlock both phones, have her take my brand new at&T unlocked iphone and activate on verizon, while i take her stolen verizon unlocked one and stick it on my at&t account.

The main questions are:

Does this sound right so far and both will work if they are unlocked and swapper on carriers, or will i be unable to use her unlocked verizon one on at&t due to the bad esn?

Gevey vs ultrasnow, what is the benefit if any for gevey vs ultrasnow? Will the ultrasnow unlock still work if i unjailbreak my phone and restore it?

Thanks, and sorry for the mass of questions. I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately that will not work. If a phone is blacklisted you cannot use it as a phone at all, even if it's unlocked, until the original owner has the phone taken off the blacklist. Also, AT&T is a GSM network and Verizon is a CDMA network so the phones are not interchangeable. You have to use the AT&T one on AT&T or some other GSM service and you would have to use the Verizon one on Verizon since there is no way to unlock CDMA iPhones.

Ultrasn0w is a software unlock, it cannot be used on an iPhone4S because the basebands are not compatible. The only way to unlock a 4S is with a Gevey Ultra S.

In the future, if you buy phone's off craigslist, there are sites on Google where you can type in the devices IMEI to check if it's blacklisted, you should always do this when purchasing phones second-hand.

Hope that helps!

Please re-confirm.

I was under the impression that the 4s was a world phone, and if the 4s was unlocked by verizon then it would be possible to use it on gsm networks outside of the US?

I was also under the impression that if it was reported stolen to verizon, only verizon as of now had the phone blacklisted and it could be flashed over to a different provider?

If i'm completely wrong I guess I have a $400 paperweight and can't do anything with it? any ideas? :(

Thanks for the helps.

The AT&T 4s cannot be used on Verizon. As the CDMA radio isnt activated. The Verizon 4s cannot be used on AT&T. As the GSM radio isnt activated. Verizon can activate it. But only for international travel

I was also under the impression that if it was reported stolen to verizon, only verizon as of now had the phone blacklisted and it could be flashed over to a different provider?

All the major carriers use a universal blacklist, if the phone is blacklisted on one carrier, it's not going to work on any of the other carriers either.

What iOS is in the Verizon phone? They have been able to unlock it for gsm carriers. But not sure still because of the stolen part. Good luck