What's new

Block a text message

hungryb

Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if there is any way to block someone's number so I wouldn't be receiving text messages from them? Is there any way or application to do that?

Not on a non Jailbroken device. The best you can do is block them through your cell service provider.

I live in Australia and my provider telstra don't have do that. They have smart control option but only for phone calls. It's d biggest provider in Australia so I don't think any of the other smaller ones would provide that service. They have told me to contact apple for this feature...but thank u anyway. I have been searching and there is no application or way to block contact from getting text messages unless my iphone would be jail broken....I have lost my hope. I'm gonna have to change my number. Simple as that. Thank u for ur reply but

Jailbreaking your iPhone would be easier and less hassle then going through the stress of changing phone number...

Sent from my iPad using iPF.net

Can't jailbrake! Have iphone 4 S with 6.0.1.....otherwise would rather JB!

I just assign a silent ringtone and ignore them.

Ah... Of course!! Great idea. But how do you get a silent text tone on loaded without a jailbreak?

Use a silent ringtone on iOS 6. Standard assignment function. Search Google for a free downlosd. Load the ringtone thru iTunes.

Use a silent ringtone on iOS 6. Standard assignment function. Search Google for a free downlosd. Load the ringtone thru iTunes.
Thanks. Do silent ring tones stop vibration too?

Unfortunately not. The phone doesn't know it's silent, it just plays the ringtone.
That's what I figured. That takes away the "silent text tone's" practicality as a solution for blocking certain numbers. Of course iBlacklist is amazing - but only if you're Jailbroken. :(

sure you can...

go to contacts, then EDIT the contact you've created for the text messages you don't want to receive. Scroll down to "vibration" and click on "None."

now you'll get the text message, with no vibration and no text tone

sure you can...

go to contacts, then EDIT the contact you've created for the text messages you don't want to receive. Scroll down to "vibration" and click on "None."

now you'll get the text message, with no vibration and no text tone

Yes!!!!!!!!! Thank you for this solution!

Edit: Well that solves the text tone vibrating - but there's no option in the edit contacts to change the ringtone to silent AND turn off ring vibration. Unless I'm missing something..

Last edited: