What's new

Blinking notification light

IJoel

Reaction score
Anyone besides me looking for this app or option? What are the lights above the top speaker for?

It's not a light, it's the sensor for the backlight. It also senses when the phone is held to your ear during a call to turn off the screen.

The notification light is the LED for the rear camera.
You can turn it on by going to Settings>General>Accessibility>LED flash for alerts-Slide from off to on.

I would love this feature if Apple put in a similar light to blackberrys or HTC's.

The notification light is the LED for the rear camera.
You can turn it on by going to Settings>General>Accessibility>LED flash for alerts-Slide from off to on.

I did that....but i still do not get a blinking light to indicate that I have emails or texts.... Is there another setting that needs to be in place to make it work? Thanks so much!

I did that....but i still do not get a blinking light to indicate that I have emails or texts.... Is there another setting that needs to be in place to make it work? Thanks so much!

The phone have to be in sleep mode for the LED to blink upon incoming notification. If you are on the device, say reading a book and receive a phone call, the LED will not blink.

I am curious why the iPhone 4s doesn't have a notification LED. Thats a deal breaker for me, I use earplugs at work, and my hands are full of mastic(glue), so I can't be touching my phone all the time to see if someone called. And I don't like wearing my phone, it gets in the way and gets dirty if I wear it. Blackberry has the LED, why can't Apple? Good also for finding your phone in the dark, with a Blackberry you can have the LED flash GREEN when in service. Even my 15 yo Samsung had a flashing notification LED!

ot1 said:
I am curious why the iPhone 4s doesn't have a notification LED. Thats a deal breaker for me, I use earplugs at work, and my hands are full of mastic(glue), so I can't be touching my phone all the time to see if someone called. And I don't like wearing my phone, it gets in the way and gets dirty if I wear it. Blackberry has the LED, why can't Apple? Good also for finding your phone in the dark, with a Blackberry you can have the LED flash GREEN when in service. Even my 15 yo Samsung had a flashing notification LED!

Yes, the iPhone has this feature. Look in settings under access ability. Scroll to the bottom and you will see the setting to turn it on. It is off by default.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

iphone4ever said:
Yes, the iPhone has this feature. Look in settings under access ability. Scroll to the bottom and you will see the setting to turn it on. It is off by default.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I turned this on but still no light, am I missing something?

drkdroid said:
I turned this on but still no light, am I missing something?

It will flash the camera flash when in standby. So you have to have to phone face down.

It will flash the camera flash when in standby. So you have to have to phone face down.

:) first, thank you for replying to this thread.

Actually, that is not the type of "indicator" light I am referring to.
I previously had a droid and prior to that a blackberry. So, what I'm looking is a feature I had with
Those phones.

If you are looking at the face of your iPhone, notice at the top, just above the screen there are 2
Straight lines (the sound piece and detector to black the screen when on a call....sorry for
My dumb girl terms, ha). Then directly to the left is a little black dot/circle. On my previous
Phones, that dot would blink if I had unread messages or notifications. (consistently until checked).

So when my phone was on silent (or not), I could always just glance at it to see if I had a message.
Does that make more sense? I have the phone now set as you suggested, and it does flash when I
Get a msg, but only the one time. So if I miss it, I still have to continually turn my screen on and unlock
It. Just seems like a waste of time and I can't imagine this is the only message indicator.

Hope I don't sound stupid with the way I described it....

JoJodebo said:
:) first, thank you for replying to this thread.

Actually, that is not the type of "indicator" light I am referring to.
I previously had a droid and prior to that a blackberry. So, what I'm looking is a feature I had with
Those phones.

If you are looking at the face of your iPhone, notice at the top, just above the screen there are 2
Straight lines (the sound piece and detector to black the screen when on a call....sorry for
My dumb girl terms, ha). Then directly to the left is a little black dot/circle. On my previous
Phones, that dot would blink if I had unread messages or notifications. (consistently until checked).

So when my phone was on silent (or not), I could always just glance at it to see if I had a message.
Does that make more sense? I have the phone now set as you suggested, and it does flash when I
Get a msg, but only the one time. So if I miss it, I still have to continually turn my screen on and unlock
It. Just seems like a waste of time and I can't imagine this is the only message indicator.

Hope I don't sound stupid with the way I described it....

Not at all. If you are on an iPhone 4 or 4S that would be your front facing camera to the left of the speaker and proximity sensor. The only message indicators for the phones are of course the screen itself and the LED camera flash. I wish that the iPhone had an indicator light like my Blackberry and my Droid X. A lot of people want this feature. I thought it would be a pain to deal with at first as well. I kinda got used to just checking though.

Last edited:
Not at all. If you are on an iPhone 4 or 4S that would be your front facing camera to the left of the speaker and proximity sensor. The only message indicators for the phones are of course the screen itself and the LED camera flash. I wish that the iPhone had an indicator light like my Blackberry and my Droid X. A lot of people want this feature. I thought it would be a pain to deal with at first as well. I kinda got used to just checking though.

Well DUH DEBRA! (me) Guess I shoulda figured that out! HA!
Thank you!! I have had my 4s for a few weeks and miss
A few features from my droid pro, but overall.... Clearly I would
Never trade back over the trivial things.

Thanks again :)