What's new

BestBuy unactivated Verizon iPhone5

carrera4s

Reaction score
Hello. I would like to purchase an unactivated iPhone 5 from BestBuy. Specifically a Verizon iPhone since I know that it works on both CDMA and GSM lines and on the same LTE frequencies that are coming out in Europe in this period. In fact I live in Italy and need it to be compatible with channels 1,3 and 5.
My doubt is whether or not I'll be able to use it as is.

I haven't understood what does "unactivated" imply.
Does it mean that it will be locked in the US only?

I've read that the Verizon version comes already GSM unlocked, is the LTE part somehow locked?

I believe so. I haven't used it in Europe yet but I think it's limited to 3G for now.

Thanks for answering willerz2.
Perhaps I might be better off buying a regular unlocked iphone 5 from Apple and renounce to Verizon iphone and LTE connectivity...I'm afraid I'd end up with an unusable device otherwise...
Has anybody got any advice?

My son and I stood in line for our Verizon iPhone 5s and love them. He recently spent 2 weeks in Europe and used his phone fine. He did message me when he got there and wasn't able to use it but I called Verizon and they had it working within a couple minutes, not sure what they had to do actually. But he was able to use it.

This is good to know if I am ever able to travel again lol. Darn kids :)

~iPhoneMommy~

Sent from my Black, 16GB, iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

My son and I stood in line for our Verizon iPhone 5s and love them. He recently spent 2 weeks in Europe and used his phone fine. He did message me when he got there and wasn't able to use it but I called Verizon and they had it working within a couple minutes, not sure what they had to do actually. But he was able to use it.
I see, perhaps they had to activate SIM roaming overseas. The thing is that we'll never know if Verizon's iphone works on european LTE networks unlil somebody tries one.