What's new

Best o the best

iDad

Reaction score
Since many of us are on the verge of a jailbreak on (hopefully) Sunday I was wondering what some of the best mods/tweaks/themes y'all use and enjoy(old or new) that'll make our iPods/Pads/Phones be the best they can be. To heck with the Super Bowl, Sunday is jailbreak day!!!! (We hope)

SBSettings, iFile, MobileTerminal, Activator, Winterboard, Safari/Chrome Download Manager, Auxo, IntelliScreenX, PKGbackup, Action Menu Plus, BiteSMS, and OpenSSH are all must haves in my book.

Just remember, when the JB is released, many tweaks will not yet be tested on the iPhone5 or IOS 6.1, and may require updates from the developers. Normally, there is a cycle of major tweak updates for weeks following the first JB on a "new" device prior to which many things you love from previous models just don't work...

Folks are usually most disappointed with tweaks which adjust the springboard and of course themes. Don't be surprised if the things you love on other devices don't work on "day 1". More patience may be required ;)

In the most extreme circumstances, you may find that the developer of your favourite tweak does not even have access to an iPhone5 yet, so updating for compatibility could be troublesome :(

But hey, we'll at least have the jailbreak! :D

Agreed with Leigh. 9 out of 10 apps the first month or two, won't display properly because they might still be using the old display dimensions of the A5 and below devices. But I know for a fact that several developers/developing teams have the dimensions correct and ready for release, just that they're waiting for mass testing when the jailbreak is publicly available for users to test whether or not it works. But generally speaking, I don't think it should be that big a problem for apps since you can simply add a check for it to increase what's being displayed rather than just stretching it to fit on screen.

If a tweak was working on 4s on 5.1x, would it have problem running on the same 4s on 6.x?

That depends if the developers updated the app/tweak for iOS 6 support. Sometimes it can be carried over, but if it's iOS linked or they use certain elements of the iOS specifically, they might not be carried over.

In still rockin my 4s so hopefully most mods/tweaks/themes won't have a problem running on it

SBSettings, iFile, MobileTerminal, Activator, Winterboard, Safari/Chrome Download Manager, Auxo, IntelliScreenX, PKGbackup, Action Menu Plus, BiteSMS, and OpenSSH are all must haves in my book.

could u give a short description on what they do? i got my phone second hand from my bro and not really sure what everything does. he had sbsettings, activator, and winterboard installed. i hear openSSH quite a bit around here too

SBSettings: a dropdown toggle menu for many features to save time and efficiency so that you won't have to go to Settings and navigate tab after tab to turn off your Wifi, lower your brightness, turn off data, toggle vibrate, toggle SSH, etc, etc. Also has a built-in process feature that allows you to clear up your memory and to end the process of apps (esp those that are frozen)

iFile: Basically allowing you access to your root files and such. You can manipulate them in certain ways. Allows you to move files in and out of your device and place them in certain directories for certain purposes and such.

MobileTerminal: It's like the Terminal in Linux and the Command Prompt for Macs. It allows you to run certain lines to do certain things. This is more towards advanced usage and such.

Activator: Set gestures to activate certain actions to happen, like you can slide from the bottom of the screen up to close an app, or to open up Angry Birds, or double press the home button to make your Phone.app pop up. There are quite a few possibilities there. Gestures from the device's buttons and on the screen and such, and there's a compiled list of items that you can cause the phone to do with the action you assign them to.

Winterboard: Theme-ing. Download or create themes, put them into your device, use Winterboard to "use" them.

Safari/Chrome Download Manager: Some files or clips and such that you can view on your browser, if you tap on them, before it goes straight to playing, it'll display a screen that asks you if you want to download the clip or whatever, or do you just want to watch/listen to it. Basically it allows you to download things.

Auxo: Just a new look to the device. By default if you double tap the home button, you'll bring up Apple's iOS "processes". Instead of just showing the icons, Auxo will show you a slightly larger icon with the appearance of what's actually on the screen before you left it.

IntelliscreenX: Revolutionizes the Notification Center. It adds a TON of other things that you can do directly on it. Accessible in the Lockscreen and anywhere else.

PKGBackup: Backs up EVERYTHING on your device. This is probably one of the best apps that you'll ever buy from Cydia. It backs up everything on your phone that needs backing up and you can backup your device in iTunes and this little backup package will be carried over as well, or you can manually extract it using SSH (Secured SHell connection)

Action Menu Plus: You know that little menu that you get when you tap and hold on to a word or something? The little menu with Copy/Paste, etc. Well this expands it, giving you other options as well like post on Facebook, copy to Memo, etc etc. Very handy.

BiteSMS: Enhances your texting experience. One feature is that it allows you to reply to texts without exiting what you're doing. A little prompt will pop up and all you'll need to do is tap on "Reply" and you can reply on the spot.

OpenSSH: Probably one of the cores of jailbreaking. It allows you to remotely root your device using FTP (file transfer protocol). It's basically iFile but instead of manipulating files from your device, you manipulate them from your computer using an FTP client like WinFTP for Windows or CyberDuck for Mac. There are also applications like iExplorer or iFunbox that does this a little more "efficiently". Instead of doing it through Wifi using SSH; iExplorer and iFunBox uses the USB, meaning faster transfer speeds, and neither iExplorer nor iFunBox requires a jailbreak, so just a heads up if you end up with an unjailbroken device and such. OpenSSH and these 2 applications allow you to root your device like you do on an Android and such.

With the exception of a couple, those are what I'm going to put on my freshly jail broken device. Oh, and these:

CallBar: Use the phone anywhere without interruptions. Activates from/within the status bar

iKeywi: Get that all-important (well, to me) 5th row on the keyboard. And, that row is programmable! Imagine - no more hitting the shift key to get a comma or period!

SwipeSelection: Swipe on the keyboard to move the cursor around

ShowCase: Really know when the shift key is activated.

CallBar and SwipeSelection are said to be fully ready for iOS 6, iKeywi is semi-working and ShowCase is not. Regardless, you can bet I'll be installing the working ones and then lurking out on Cydia waiting for updates on the others. :)

Marilyn