What's new

Best jailbreak for verizon 4.2.8

carbrad

Reaction score
This post may need to be in jailbreaking but since my phone is from Verizon running 4.2.8 I wanted to know the best method to jailbreak unthethered. There seems to be so many different jailbreaks. Ex redsnow,grenpoision,jailbreakme. i am new to jailbreaking and want the least problems from my Verizon 32GB

use safari and go to jailbreakme.com after that go to cydia and search for pdf patcher 2 and install that and you are done.

Do Not upgrade to 4.2.9.....

use safari and go to jailbreakme.com after that go to cydia and search for pdf patcher 2 and install that and you are done.

What happens if you upgrade? Does it brick your phone?

What happens if you upgrade? Does it brick your phone?

No no it will not brick your phone, you will just not be able to untether jailbreak amymore also you may not be able to downgrade from 4.2.9 to 4.2.8 once you upgrade. But the iOS 4.2.9 is fully working and no new feature added to it. It's same exact with 4.2.8

what did you mean that you will not be able to unthether.
Also if I am unhappy with jailbreak me or phone functions is it that easy as clicking restore on itunes to get phone back to original state? Will all apps and emails and contacts be back on phone and will cydia and all remains of jailbreak will be gone??? Mostly want jailbreak for hotspot feature since i am on verizon unlimited. how good is jailbroken hotspot app? Have heard good things. Sorry for all the questions but you can learn so much here!

carbrad said:
Also if I am unhappy with jailbreak me or phone functions is it that easy as clicking restore on itunes to get phone back to original state? Will all apps and emails and contacts be back on phone and will cydia and all remains of jailbreak will be gone??? Mostly want jailbreak for hotspot feature since i am on verizon unlimited. how good is jailbroken hotspot app? Have heard good things. Sorry for all the questions but you can learn so much here!

The restore is simple as a button click. I couldn't tell you much about the tethering since I have free 3G service on my iPad and unlimited data use on my phone. Makes no sense for me to tether. Nothing will remain if you don't backup your phone.

carbrad said:

The restore is simple as a button click. I couldn't tell you much about the tethering since I have free 3G service on my iPad and unlimited data use on my phone. Makes no sense for me to tether. Nothing will remain if you don't backup your phone.

His talking, about untether jailbreak. And to answer his question, you will not be able to untether jailbreak the latest iOS.

A lot of verizon users on 4.2.8 had issues with the jailbreakme 3.0 method. I was one of those people, but they fixed the issues for Verizon iPhones July 13th. I retried the method a week ago, and everythings been running smooth since! :cool:

maxwell said:
Everything running smoothly, tethered or untethered?

It's untethered. It's the easiest jailbreak you can do IMO. Just go to this website jailbreakme.com from your iPhones safari browser, and hit the blue free button in the right hand corner. After that it should say install then click it it. Then your done thats all there is to it! Took me 20secs to be jailbroken. Here's a picture of what the right website looks like.

Edit: Forgot to tell you how it's running! It's running great. The first time this jailbreak came out, it had a lot of issues with Verizon iPhones, I was one of them, but they fixed the issues for Verizon iPhones running 4.2.8 on July 13th. I tried the jailbreak again, and it's been 1 1/2 weeks, and everything runs smoothly! I couldn't complain!

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Last edited:
Is there any real difference between 4.2.6 & 4.2.8? I'm thinking of doing the upgrade and then using the jailbreakme.com site to re-jailbreak? Is it worth it though?

j_rambo77 said:
Is there any real difference between 4.2.6 & 4.2.8? I'm thinking of doing the upgrade and then using the jailbreakme.com site to re-jailbreak? Is it worth it though?

No because you'll get upgraded to 4.2.10 which doesn't have a jailbreak yet.
Just stick with what ya got! :D!

Okay...cool. Thank you! You saved me a big headache then. Right now, being jailbroken, I love being able to access my camera from the lock screen so to lose that would have sucked. Thanks!

j_rambo77 said:
Okay...cool. Thank you! You saved me a big headache then. Right now, being jailbroken, I love being able to access my camera from the lock screen so to lose that would have sucked. Thanks!

I hear you! There's a lot of neat things you can do with a jailbreak! :D! My favorite has to be BiteSMS! I don't think I could go back to using the crappy stock SMS app lol!