What's new

Best apps for malware, antivirus, ransom ware?

dkgoodman

Reaction score
New to iphone. What are the best (hopefully free) apps to protect my phone?

Thank you.

Welcome to iPhoneForums!

There are no viruses for iOS, if your device is not jailbroken. Apple addresses threats like these in their updates, which always also contain security updates. The best way to keep your device virus-free is keeping it's software up to date.

iOS updates frequently contain important security updates which is why it's important to keep up to date. Because of the way iOS updates work, it's impossible to get these security updates without updating your iOS version.

In addition, downloading apps only from the Apple App Store limits exposure to malware due to Apple's vetting.

WOW!! I'm enjoying my new iphone (well, old and reconditioned....but not "jailbroken"....more and more every day. :D

If I may ask one more question? Do the IOS updates come through automatically or will I get a notice to download? I have checked and my phone is running to IOS10, so I assume that I am up-to-date.

Also, does this mean that I don't have to worry about having my phone "ransomed"? The updates address this also?

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

If there's an available update it can download automatically if your iPhone is asleep, plugged into the charger and connected to WiFi. Installation is always manual. If you don't want to update you can go to Settings>General>Storage & iCloud Usage>Manage Storage, scroll down the list until you come to the downloaded update and delete it.

iOS 10.2 is currently the latest version of iOS.

Thank you.

My concern was "missing" updates. From what you've said, I should be okay, they'll download AND install without "my" manually doing anything? Sorry if I sound 'dense'. :cool: But I want to make sure that I keep my new little phone "safe". :)

I checked and I do have the iOS 10.2.

If there's an available update it can download automatically if your iPhone is asleep, plugged into the charger and connected to WiFi. Installation is always manual. If you don't want to update you can go to Settings>General>Storage & iCloud Usage>Manage Storage, scroll down the list until you come to the downloaded update and delete it.

iOS 10.2 is currently the latest version of iOS.

Oh! Just reread your post and noticed "installation is always manual". So, this means with newly downloaded updates, I will get some sort of notice?

Thanks, again, Danni.

When the update has been downloaded, you'll notice a red notification badge on the Settings app, similar to the badge that shows that you've received an email in the Mail app.

Ahhh, once again, thank you so much. I'm learning.....

Thank you.

My concern was "missing" updates. From what you've said, I should be okay, they'll download AND install without "my" manually doing anything? Sorry if I sound 'dense'. :cool: But I want to make sure that I keep my new little phone "safe". :)

I checked and I do have the iOS 10.2.

Never think you're being dense, some of the questions l ask you would think l got my iPhone yesterday not 4 years ago

Ahhh, once again, thank you so much. I'm learning.....
Don't be afraid to ask anything you're not sure of, There will always be someone around to help eventually. Also the search feature is useful as a lot of questions have been asked before and answers might be there.

Don't be afraid to ask anything you're not sure of, There will always be someone around to help eventually. Also the search feature is useful as a lot of questions have been asked before and answers might be there.

So here l go again my other forum has the search on screen in tapatalk, but l don't see it anywhere in this one?

So here l go again my other forum has the search on screen in tapatalk, but l don't see it anywhere in this one?
This one?
1b820eed7e95a077b787b310004203ae.jpg
2aa23c8ce6fd0ad41845ff94f644caf1.jpg