What's new

Battery Replacement

LaurenM1

Reaction score
So after 2 years, my current iPhone 5 Battery Life is
CycleCount: 622
DesignCapacity: 1430
FullChargeCapacity: 700

So I would like to replace the battery myself… Any recommendations for an excellent battery and kit to purchase online perhaps off Amazon? I do not want to buy a knock off or a low quality battery. Looking for a new good quality battery.
Any suggestions for actually replacing the battery? How to guide? etc?
Thanks!

Depending on when you bought your iPhone 5, you may qualify for a free battery replacement. If you go to this site and enter the serial number of your iPhone 5, it will tell you if you're eligible for the program. iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program - Apple Support
The site contains directions on how to get your battery replaced under the program.

If you don't qualify, iFixit.com sells genuine parts and the tools necessary for almost any repair job.

Yes I had checked my serial number previously and I do not qualify

Let us know how the battery replacement goes. iFixit parts may be a little more expensive than others but you'll get a genuine battery, not a cheap knock off.

What is the best way to maintain the health and longevity of my new battery?
What methods and strategies of charging? etc.
Thanks

Do you think it may be useful or doable to put in a new battery that has higher mAh and capacity?
I would love a new battery that can hold a charge for longer and better… I hate needing to recharge my iPhone constantly

Do you think it may be useful or doable to put in a new battery that has higher mAh and capacity?
I would love a new battery that can hold a charge for longer and better… I hate needing to recharge my iPhone constantly
Such a battery would likely be too large to fit in the phone. The iPhone is designed to run with a specific battery and you'll likely have problems if you used a battery with different specifications. There are battery cases such as the Mophie Juice Pack that will extend your battery life. I've used them and they work with no problems.

Thanks

Thanks
The only really bad things you can do to harm the battery is to leave the battery fully discharged for an extended period or leave the phone in a really hot environment, such as a parked car in hot weather with the windows rolled up. Other than that you can charge it whenever you want. There's no need to wait until the charge level drops below a certain point.

In addition, always use the proper charger as supplied with the iPhone, counterfeit and unauthorized third party chargers have caused problems.