What's new

Battery Percentage Stuck on iPhone 5 (Both when in use and charing)

jameswhit

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a problem with my iPhone 5 where the Battery Percentage is stuck at the same value and only changes when I reset the phone, (by holding down the Home and Power button). This problem exists both when in use and when charging, so I have no idea when it is about to turn off because the battery is nearly flat!

I'm currently running iOS 7.0.6 and have tried restoring my phone a couple of times and resetting all of the settings but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.

If anyone has any advice regarding the above it would be much appreciated.

Regards,
James.

Hi, I've got a problem with my iPhone 5 where the Battery Percentage is stuck at the same value and only changes when I reset the phone, (by holding down the Home and Power button). This problem exists both when in use and when charging, so I have no idea when it is about to turn off because the battery is nearly flat! I'm currently running iOS 7.0.6 and have tried restoring my phone a couple of times and resetting all of the settings but this doesn't seem to have made any difference. If anyone has any advice regarding the above it would be much appreciated. Regards, James.
Have you tried allowing the battery to run down below 1% until it shuts off? Then charging it, uninterrupted, to 100%? Then once at 100%, let it charge another hour? That helps many battery % issues.

Hi,

Yeah I have tried that once but I will give it another go and see what happens, I haven't tried leaving it another hour once at 100%, so will give that a go.

Thanks,
James.

Hi,

I'm not sure whether it's related but I let my phone get down to 1% and then shut itself off and when I plugged it into the charger, it came back in but it seems to have lost the time settings and it says 'Searching' where the network provider should be shown. This happened the other day when the battery ran out but I thought nothing of it at the time!

Regards,
James.

Hi, I'm not sure whether it's related but I let my phone get down to 1% and then shut itself off and when I plugged it into the charger, it came back in but it seems to have lost the time settings and it says 'Searching' where the network provider should be shown. This happened the other day when the battery ran out but I thought nothing of it at the time! Regards, James.
Is the "time" and "searching" issue back to normal? What is going on with the phone now?

The time is still wrong and it still says 'Searching' and I've also noticed that the percentage is stuck at 7%. I have just restarted the phone now and it is showing as 100% charged; I had to turn Airplane Mode On and back Off again in order to find my network, which then corrected the time. In my settings I've got my time switched to 'Set Automatically', so I guess when it can't pick up the network it is unable to set the time correctly, so that is why it is defaulting to January 1st at 01:00 when it switches back on?

Thanks,
James.

Hi,

I have just upgraded to iOS 7.1.0 and this still hasn't fixed my problem. Also charging from dead to 100% still hasn't fixed the battery percentage problem, it seems to get stuck on whatever it is at when I rebooted my phone, for example it is now on 51% but that was from a few hours ago when I rebooted my phone.

It's frustrating as I have no idea when my battery is going to run out and I also don't know when it has completely charged either without rebooting it!

If you've got any ideas they would be gratefully appreciated :)

Thanks,
James.

Is your phone jailbroken? are you restoring from a backup? I wonder if you have something corrupted in your backup. I would back your phone up to restore to later, but then I would restore as new and see what happens. If you still have the issue, my guess is that it is a hardware issue....

There are many apps you could download that would give you a battery reading.

Hi,

No my phone isn't jail broken but I have restored from a backup I was using on iPhone 4, do you think this could be a problem? If I restore iOS 7.1.0 and set my phone up as a new device will I lose all my message/contacts etc or can I restore these afterwards?

If you have a recommendation for a free battery app that would be much appreciated, it would be interesting to see if that gives me any different info etc!

Thanks,
James.

Yes, if you set it up as new you will lose everything. but, like I said go ahead and back it up and you can restore it to that back up later if the phone still has the issue set up as new.

Make sure you transfer all your photos from the camera roll to your computer...you can resync those later. Make sure your contacts are synced with an online service so you can resync from there. Gmail, yahoo, verizon, etc. Or sync your contacts to iCloud. You can resync your music later too.

If your phone works normally as new and the problem is resolved, then you would not want to use that corrupted back up. You can then download all your apps again from scratch, but unfortunately, app data will be lost. Your messages will be lost. You can resync contacts, music, and photos.

I use "system status-activity monitor". Forget the apps that promise better battery life.

Hi,

Thanks, I managed to set my phone up as a new device and have got my calendars, contacts etc back through iCloud.

I'm still having the issue with my battery percentage, it's really weird the phone kept rebooting after doing my restore but it seems to be stable now. The System Status monitor is showing the incorrect battery percentage too and is also frozen unless I reboot my phone so I'm thinking it could be a hardware issue like you mentioned! Is there any way of narrowing down what the issue is at all?

Thanks,
James.

I'm sorry. I don't have any other ideas for you. I hope someone else can help. Your next step may be to take it to a Genius Bar and have them look at your phone.

Have you done a google search and also a search on the Apple support forums?

Hi, I've got a problem with my iPhone 5 where the Battery Percentage is stuck at the same value and only changes when I reset the phone, (by holding down the Home and Power button). This problem exists both when in use and when charging, so I have no idea when it is about to turn off because the battery is nearly flat! I'm currently running iOS 7.0.6 and have tried restoring my phone a couple of times and resetting all of the settings but this doesn't seem to have made any difference. If anyone has any advice regarding the above it would be much appreciated. Regards, James.
Does your battery icon in the status bar work? Not the %. The icon that looks like a battery. Does it work?

Hi,

Thanks for the advice so far guys, it is much appreciated! I have posted on the Apple Support Forums so will have to see what they say, my phone is out of warranty so will the Genius Bar people still look at my phone?

The icon doesn't work either unfortunately, that is frozen too. I've managed to find some of the crash details from my diagnostics section in Settings, I don't know whether that would shed any light on any issues? It mentions something about a 'CRC' error when it reboots but I can't decipher any of the rest of it! Ive also had it randomly reboot when I've been syncing via USB in iTunes.

Thanks,
James.

Hi, Thanks for the advice so far guys, it is much appreciated! I have posted on the Apple Support Forums so will have to see what they say, my phone is out of warranty so will the Genius Bar people still look at my phone? The icon doesn't work either unfortunately, that is frozen too. I've managed to find some of the crash details from my diagnostics section in Settings, I don't know whether that would shed any light on any issues? It mentions something about a 'CRC' error when it reboots but I can't decipher any of the rest of it! Ive also had it randomly reboot when I've been syncing via USB in iTunes. Thanks, James.
The Genius Bar at an Apple Store is always free. You do have to make an advance reservation, though. If the problem requires an out of warranty repair, they will quote a price for you. The appointment itself is free.