What's new

Battery Information, Concerning Wifi

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a thread on here or not, but here are my personal experiences with battery life so far.

I am noticing a much slower battery drain when I turn wifi off while I am NOT connected, or anywhere there is NO wifi available. I attribute this to the fact it is always searching for a hotspot.

However, whilst on Wifi, I am noticing a slower battery drain, as long as I am continually connected, and getting a decent signal.

So, IMO, turn wifi completely off if you know you are not using it, but if you have wifi available, use it. That's what I do, and I get to the end of a day (8:00am - 5:00pm) with about an hour of phone calls, 30 minutes of browsing, hour of games, 20 emails, and about 100-150 texts with ~70% battery left. This is at work where there is no wifi, and I went into settings and switched off Wifi. O, and brightness is set to Auto, and 50%.

I am ONLY posting this because I know people have always debated whether or not wifi is a battery saver or drainer, so I decided to post my experience. So, I am not promising the same with you, but it might be something to try out.

I'm not sure if there is a thread on here or not, but here are my personal experiences with battery life so far.

I am noticing a much slower battery drain when I turn wifi off while I am NOT connected, or anywhere there is NO wifi available. I attribute this to the fact it is always searching for a hotspot.

However, whilst on Wifi, I am noticing a slower battery drain, as long as I am continually connected, and getting a decent signal.

So, IMO, turn wifi completely off if you know you are not using it, but if you have wifi available, use it. That's what I do, and I get to the end of a day (8:00am - 5:00pm) with about an hour of phone calls, 30 minutes of browsing, hour of games, 20 emails, and about 100-150 texts with ~70% battery left. This is at work where there is no wifi, and I went into settings and switched off Wifi. O, and brightness is set to Auto, and 50%.

I am ONLY posting this because I know people have always debated whether or not wifi is a battery saver or drainer, so I decided to post my experience. So, I am not promising the same with you, but it might be something to try out.

Yeah thank you, this makes perfect sense because with the Wifi on but no Wifi to connect to your Wifi will constantly sit and scan for Wireless network, but when you are connected it will not keep scanning unless the connection gets low.......makes perfect sense.

My wifi is always on, it doesn't matter if there is a wifi spot available or not, but i've noticed that my wifi will automaticaly engage a search for a wifispot only an only if i'm trying to browse or to fetch my emails or wheb i go to the application store while there is no wifi conected to the device, then i will cancel the search by rejecting all possible wifi spot the phone found, it will then auto swich to 3g and allow me to browse or do whatever i want to do on the phone using internet, when i'm back at home where i have wifi, it will connect automaticaly without notification, and my battery is the same usage either wifi on or off, 10% drain / hours so basically my phone goes 10h a day of normal use, of course, no video palying, no internet tv, no photos editing, and no games, but internet radio, browsing, emails, sms, calls etc... Yes. IMC the wifi on while not connected doesn't really destroy my bat life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wifi is always on, it doesn't matter if there is a wifi spot available or not, but i've noticed that my wifi will automaticaly engage a search for a wifispot only an only if i'm trying to browse or to fetch my emails or wheb i go to the application store while there is no wifi conected to the device, then i will cancel the search by rejecting all possible wifi spot the phone found, it will then auto swich to 3g and allow me to browse or do whatever i want to do on the phone using internet, when i'm back at home where i have wifi, it will connect automaticaly without notification, and my battery is the same usage either wifi on or off, 10% drain / hours so basically my phone goes 10h a day of normal use, of course, no video palying, no internet tv, no photos editing, and no games, but internet radio, browsing, emails, sms, calls etc... Yes. IMC the wifi on while not connected doesn't really destroy my bat life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never really said it destroys battery life, it was just a quicker drain. And if you are like me and have about 20 different news type apps, when each is launched and there is wifi around but is locked or something, that's a lot of pointless asking for wifi lol

And I was just posting my experience for people to note anyway. Just something you can try if you're having problems with battery usage. This can't hurt, but may help, so there ya go lol