What's new

Backup iPhone 4 with 4.2.6 jailbreak

dnb34tz420

Reaction score
I want to back up my 4.2.6 firmware with the jailbreak and try installing iOS 5 and see if I like it. I know I can't jailbreak my iPhone 4 right now with iOS 5 because I don't have a baseband that is currently supported by available jailbreaks. Is there a way to save my jailbroken 4.2.6 so I can revert back to it if I am not pleased with using iOS 5?

the baseband has nothing to do with jailbreak, the only reason why the baseband version would matter is if you need unlock and thats for GSM devices.

but there is no un tethered jailbreak for ios 5

okay well thats not true what I've been reading about the baseband support (they said iPhone 4 baseband 01.59.00 is the only one supported), but regardless, you didn't really answer my question. Is there a way to backup/preserve my jailbroken 4.2.6 with all my stuff the way it is (including all the tweaks and apps ive gotten from cydia) and then upgrade to iOS 5 with the ability to switch back if I'm not satisfied with iOS 5? To further make it clear, I'm not trying to jailbreak the iOS 5, I really just want to test it out and see if I feel like its worth switching and if not, then I want to be able to downgrade back to my 4.2.6 jailbroken/tweaked version of the iOS firmware I am currently running.

In order to be able to install an old version of IOS, such as 4.2.6, you must have saved SHSH Blobs for your device and the version of IOS you want to install.

If you follow this tutorial exactly it will let you know which versions of IOS you are entitled to install on your phone - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/h...ave-your-shsh-blobs-using-tinyumbrella-18924/

Make sure you follow the steps exactly. At the end you will have a list of versions of IOS. If 4.2.6 is NOT on this list then you will never be able to restore it if you experiment with installing 5.0.

To be clear, if you upgrade to 5.0, you will only be allowed to downgrade to whatever firmware versions which TinyUnbrella has in it's list for you. Try the tutorial out and let us know how you get on.

say if i did this and 4.2.6 was supported, would it revert back to the jailbroken version or would I have to jailbreak all over again and get all my cydia tweaks and apps again?

In order to be able to install an old version of IOS, such as 4.2.6, you must have saved SHSH Blobs for your device and the version of IOS you want to install.

If you follow this tutorial exactly it will let you know which versions of IOS you are entitled to install on your phone - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/h...ave-your-shsh-blobs-using-tinyumbrella-18924/

Make sure you follow the steps exactly. At the end you will have a list of versions of IOS. If 4.2.6 is NOT on this list then you will never be able to restore it if you experiment with installing 5.0.

To be clear, if you upgrade to 5.0, you will only be allowed to downgrade to whatever firmware versions which TinyUnbrella has in it's list for you. Try the tutorial out and let us know how you get on.