What's new

Backing up with icloud info.

dave307

Reaction score
Hi Good day to all.
Been looking through this forum to see the options for saving to the icloud.
I have many pictures on my iPhone 6 which is a 64gb one. As you all know you don't get much storage free with Icloud and if you require more you have to pay.
This is the way I'm looking at my situation, Please tell me if i'm wrong.
I have a lot of images on my phone and in the icloud setting the box is on for saving photos now that is coming to a point very close to the end of the free storage. I also use google photos for backing up the photos, Now this is what i'm thinking of doing in the icloud settings disable the photo backup and just leave the google do the backup instead of the icloud. If I do that will it affect the photos that are on my 64gb phone. Sharing to my wife's ipad when required I could turn that setting on so that she can gain access to some of the new updated photos then turn off icloud photos when complete.
Does that sound crazy or am I looking down the right road.

Just one other point regarding the 12months warranty that apple give us what would be the situation if a disaster breaks out in 14months time, Apple wont cover that period will they and on the other hand yes if you are willing to pay a lot of cash.
So is it a good idea to have a cover from apple or some other to cover the cost of anything going wrong, ie monthly repair or a yearly one to cover the cost of any thing going wrong.
Does apple do such a insurance scheme? or some other way.
Any advice on that please.

Thank You very much for reading my views on the icloud backing up situation.
David.

To answer your second question:
Apple offers Apple Care + for the iPhone when you buy it, or within 60 days of the purchase. This extends the warranty to 24 months.
For more information, see here:
AppleCare+ - iPhone - Apple

Hi Good day to all.
Been looking through this forum to see the options for saving to the icloud.
I have many pictures on my iPhone 6 which is a 64gb one. As you all know you don't get much storage free with Icloud and if you require more you have to pay.
This is the way I'm looking at my situation, Please tell me if i'm wrong.
I have a lot of images on my phone and in the icloud setting the box is on for saving photos now that is coming to a point very close to the end of the free storage. I also use google photos for backing up the photos, Now this is what i'm thinking of doing in the icloud settings disable the photo backup and just leave the google do the backup instead of the icloud. If I do that will it affect the photos that are on my 64gb phone. Sharing to my wife's ipad when required I could turn that setting on so that she can gain access to some of the new updated photos then turn off icloud photos when complete.
Does that sound crazy or am I looking down the right road.

Thank You very much for reading my views on the icloud backing up situation.
David.
Photos are not backed up to iCloud when you use iCloud Photo Library. They are synced between devices, that's an important difference. As soon as you remove an image from one device, this will be synced to all the other devices using the same iCloud ID. Which means: they will also be removed everywhere else.

Saving the images to Google will not have any impact on the pictures in the Photos app. With one exception: when you remove an image in Google Photos, and that image is still in your photo library in the Photos app, it will be removed from there too.

If you share your iCloud ID with your wife, turning on iCloud Photo Library or Photo Stream will sync the images to her device as well. When you turn this off, she can't access them any more, because these photos were on your device.

You can use iCloud Photo Sharing. There, you can create an album, invite her to it,and then put images into that folder, so that she can see them. She can also download these images to her device. One album can contain up to 5000 images, and they do not count against your iCloud storage limit.
Here's more information:
iCloud Photo Sharing

The Cloud is handy, but, I'm disinclined to trust to only a mobile device and cloud services any photos I treasure. Thus, photos I wish to keep get moved off onto my own system, which is then, in turn, backed up nightly. The backups are rotated monthly, with the prior month's backup stored in a safe.

Thanks all something to look into.
ITGeeK. I don't suppose you could pass on some more info on your backup setup. If that's okay with you.
Many thanks Both David.

ITGeeK. I don't suppose you could pass on some more info on your backup setup. If that's okay with you.
Happy to, but, unless you're a 'nix-head :), may not be of much use.

I've got a pair of utilities, one written in perl, the other in shell, that leverage the rsync utility. I back up to external drives, usually connected via USB or eSATA.

Long story short: Each month a (new) volume starts out with a full backup, which is essentially a mirror of the system's drive(s). Then, each morning, a cron job launches a form of differential backup that's performed in such a manner that each differential looks like a full backup.

It works quite well, even if I do say so, myself :)

ITGeeK
Thanks for the reply you are correct totally confused. I was to late in life to get into all this techy stuff.
Thanks Anyway it was nice of you to reply. David.