What's new

Back ups

TimWaters

Reaction score
Neither my iPhone 6plus or iPad will backup either automatically or manually. They go through the process & at end always say 'cannot complete backup'. Last backup was completed 25/2. Wired backup to iTunes is no problem. iCloud backup is the issue.
I've reset the phone & iPad - makes no difference; can anyone help?

Make sure you have a good internet connection (Wi-Fi). If it's still not completing the backup, try a different Wi-Fi.

If Wi-Fi is not the reason for your incomplete backups, go to Settings - iCloud, and take a look at your iCloud storage. It's possible to upgrade your storage, if necessary.

Thank you for your reply.
Have tried different wifi & makes no difference.
Re iCloud storage, I have upgraded & have 175gb available.

I hoped one of the two suggestions above would help, because both your iDevices are involved.

Here are a few more things:
Go to Settings - iCloud, sign out of the account, restart your device and sign in again.

Turn off backups in Settings - iCloud. In the process you'll be asked whether or not you wish to keep all backup data. Do not keep them, but remove the backups from iCloud.

Reset/reboot: press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo, then let go of both. Your iPad and iPhone will power up on their own.

Reset all settings in Settings - General - Reset. This won't remove Apple ID or iCloud ID, or remove email accounts, but most of your other settings will be set back to default (also network connections), so you'll have to set them up again, or change them.

If none of the above helps, create a backup to iTunes, then erase your device and set it up again, using the backup.

Thanks again for this. Have tried all your suggestions apart from general reset which I was trying to avoid. Still no joy; also it won't let me delete any existing backup...
Ipad seems to have resolved itself & completed an auto backup.

The last solution would be to contact Apple, or take your device to the next Apple Retail Store.