What's new

Back up question

rws

Reaction score
Ok, I have not gotten my IP4 yet as I have a week to go on my contract BUT I have been reading a manual on the IP4. ITunes, which I have for my IPod, apparently bacs up or sync's the information on the phone, I can elect auto or manual. My question is that for Contacts it references MobileMe. This pkg it says is free for 1st year and then a fee going forward. Is MobileMe the only option for backing up contacts via ITunes? My understanding is that MM allows backups to other pc's and I have no need to do this.
Thanks,
Russ

rws said:
Ok, I have not gotten my IP4 yet as I have a week to go on my contract BUT I have been reading a manual on the IP4. ITunes, which I have for my IPod, apparently bacs up or sync's the information on the phone, I can elect auto or manual. My question is that for Contacts it references MobileMe. This pkg it says is free for 1st year and then a fee going forward. Is MobileMe the only option for backing up contacts via ITunes? My understanding is that MM allows backups to other pc's and I have no need to do this.
Thanks,
Russ

Mobile me is actually down now. iCloud will release along with ios5. When you choose to backup from iTunes it won't use mobile me. But it will copy all of your contacts and such

ICrank, Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case but this manual is kinda sketchy on that topic. Thanks for the help. Anxious to gte the phone.
Russ

rws said:
ICrank, Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case but this manual is kinda sketchy on that topic. Thanks for the help. Anxious to gte the phone.
Russ

You're welcome. I also forgot to mention that iCloud will offer wireless sync. Making backing up easy.

I've always backed my contacts up to windows address book. iTunes gives you several options to back up things like contacts and calenders depending what program's you have installed on your PC.

iCloud will be able to back up everything wirelessly and automatically each night when it becomes available to the public. I've been using it for a while now and it's really good...

gaz6076 said:
I've always backed my contacts up to windows address book. iTunes gives you several options to back up things like contacts and calenders depending what program's you have installed on your PC.

iCloud will be able to back up everything wirelessly and automatically each night when it becomes available to the public. I've been using it for a while now and it's really good...

ICloud will be nice. Hey gaz you should read the thread darkstar2007 posted about the udid's

Here's a newbie question. Since I haven't gotten my phone yet (less than a week now!) is IOS5 something that will come on a new IP4 or is that something I can update from ITunes after I purchase the phone if it's not available at time of purchase?
BTW, thanks for the information and patience with my questions!
Russ

rws said:
Here's a newbie question. Since I haven't gotten my phone yet (less than a week now!) is IOS5 something that will come on a new IP4 or is that something I can update from ITunes after I purchase the phone if it's not available at time of purchase?
BTW, thanks for the information and patience with my questions!
Russ

Your phone will not come preinstalled with ios5. When it releases you be asked to update your device when you connect to iTunes.

If Mobile Me is down, how are people that have their life and work synced with it dealing with it? Is this temporary?

darkstar2007 said:
MobileMe was extended for existing customers until June 30, 2012

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=125841&highlight=MobileMe+extension

Hope this helps!

Hey darkstar. That date is on the apple website that I posted. He probably didnt see it

Looking for MobileMe?
MobileMe is no longer accepting new subscribers. If you’re a current member, you can still access everything as usual through June 30, 2012.
Current members log in here
FAQs about the MobileMe transition to iCloud

This is from the official apple site that I posted

iCrank said:
Hey darkstar. That date is on the apple website that I posted. He probably didnt see it

Looking for MobileMe?
MobileMe is no longer accepting new subscribers. If you’re a current member, you can still access everything as usual through June 30, 2012.
Current members log in here
FAQs about the MobileMe transition to iCloud

This is from the official apple site that I posted

Oh my bad iCrank! :D! I need to drink a red bull and wake up more. Lol!