What's new

Automatically connect to strongest wifi signal?

Nisei

Reaction score
I have 2 access points in my house but when I'm moving around my iPhone and iPad always stay connected to the first one available, even if the other one is in much closer range.
Is there an app that checks the best available signal and automatically switches to that one?

Hi Nisei. Are you using your pad / phone as you walk round. My experience (a building with 6 airports) is that the hardware will remain connected to a particular station until the link is lost. My solution with a MacBook is to close the lid / sleep and with the phone to lock the screen. If you wish to use as you move you may want to consider moving the base stations so you have no blind spots. Are you noticing a slowdown in performance as you move away from one station?

Hi Cushers
I'm not using it when I walk around.
I get home and my phone connects to the first access point available. After that it keeps choosing that access point when I wake my phone, even when I'm at a different floor in my house.
I'm not having any blind spots in my house. When I'm on the 2nd floor I would like to use the access point on the second floor instead of only having 1-bar reception from the access point on the first floor.
That's the whole idea behind an extra access point. It sounds logical to me that the phone would be smart enough to choose the strongest signal available but apparently it's not.

True, it does sound logical. Im afraid you will have to wait 'til some one with a more detailed knowledge than myself comes along. At least they will see exactly what the problem is. Just one last thought... do both airports have the same network name?

Yeah I was just going to post that I solved it by giving both APs the same SSID.
I'd rather didn't do that so I could see which is which but it's leaving me no choice.
Still doesn't seem logical to me though.