What's new

At&t have bars but no data internet service! help!

thedude234

Reaction score
I recently got an iphone 5C for my birthday,i use att service with a 2000mb data plan. The only thing that works when i dont have Wifi is phone and text. When i try getting mail or going on safari it says cannot connect because your phone is not connected to the internet.
I tried everything, network restart, phone restart, i called att they said it should work and they say i used 0mb out of my 2000mb in data. does anyone know who to fix this?

I had this problem a while ago, i used the same service and phone number, on a blackberry at first internet worked but then it stopped working like it is now.

$IMG_0135[1].jpg$IMG_0137[1].jpg$IMG_0138[1].jpg$IMG_0136[1].jpg

If possible, pop in a friend or a family member's AT&T SIM, activate the phone under that number or change it under their number and see if it fixes the issue. If not, I'd try performing a hard reset. Last ditch would be to restore a fresh copy of iOS in DFU mode. If the SIM swapping fixes it, then you might want to get a new SIM from your local AT&T retailer. If it's a faulty SIM, you should be able to get a new one free of charge.

If none of them fixes the issue, schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar and see if they can resolve the issue.

EDIT: Also, open up iTunes with your device connecting, and on your device's profile page, click on "Check for Updates" and see if there's a carrier settings update from AT&T available. If so, install it and see if that helps

Last edited:
Go into AT & T with the phone. The bars are phone signal strength, they are not a reflectlions of your data access. If you have a data connection oither than wi-fi, it woudl say LTE or 3G to the right of ATT. You are showing a display with no internet connection established. Either yiu have a faulty sim or otherwise are not connecting to the network properly.