What's new

AT&T Has Started Removing Unlimited Plans For Jailbroken Tethering

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
AT_T_tethering.JPG

9to5 Mac reports today that it has heard from some of its readers that AT&T is going ahead with plans that it announced earlier in the year to remove unlimited data plans from those of its customers who use jailbroken iPhones to tether off the back of their unlimited data plan. According to one of their readers, he or she was told by AT&T that from Thursday, August 11, anyone using MyWi or any other tethering on their iPhone, or using the phone as a modem, will have their unlimited data plan switched to a 2GB tethering plan, at a cost of $45 per month. The customer will have no say in this matter, and it will be done automatically. 9to5 Mac says that they have also had this independently confirmed to them by an AT&T spokesperson, although not the August 11 date. Here’s the text of that confirmation from AT&T in full, which makes things pretty clear:

Earlier this year, we began sending letters, emails, and text messages to a small number of smartphone customers who use their devices for tethering but aren’t on our required tethering plan. Our goal here is fairness for all of our customers. (This impacts a only small percentage of our smartphone customer base.)
The letters outline three choices:
1) Stop tethering and keep their current plan (including grandfathered unlimited plan).
2) Proactively call AT&T or visit our stores and move to the required tethering plan.
3) Do nothing and we’ll go ahead and add the tethering plan on their behalf — after the dated noted in their customer notification.
Source: Jailbreak hotspot-ers: AT&T is moving you to a tiered data plan involuntarily | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Last edited:
gaz6076 said:
I believe there is...

Well I googled it and apparently AT&T has some sort of program that let's them know they are using mywi specifically. A lot of commentors posted AT&T called them out and named the app specifically. Also they told them how much data their apps used. I don't know how true this is, but it's kinda creepy. Then again the commentors said they would burn through 20+ gb in a month so that could be why too. Lol.

darkstar2007 said:
Is there any real way they can tell, or do they just assume your tethering due to large data consumption?

Me to why would u jailbreak ur device

HMR said:
Me to why would u jailbreak ur device

My device is jailbroken for a few cydia apps.

BiteSMS: this app is so much better than the stock SMS app
Winterboard: I like to put a nice theme on my iPhone. Give it personality.
My3G: so I can use FaceTime over 3G.
IFile: so I can delete whatever I want from my iPhone.

That's why I jailbroke and it's the only reason.

darkstar2007 said:
My device is jailbroken for a few cydia apps.

BiteSMS: this app is so much better than the stock SMS app
Winterboard: I like to put a nice theme on my iPhone. Give it personality.
My3G: so I can use FaceTime over 3G.
IFile: so I can delete whatever I want from my iPhone.

That's why I jailbroke and it's the only reason.

I agree. I jailbroke just for bitesms. If apple gave me the ability to reply to text and set a SMS ringtone I wouldn't do it. I don't theme. I just like having that ability to do as I please with my phone. Anyways has anybody ever ran into this issue with Verizon.

iCrank said:
I agree. I jailbroke just for bitesms. If apple gave me the ability to reply to text and set a SMS ringtone I wouldn't do it

Ditto. I can live without the other apps. It's just BiteSMS is the bees knees. :D lol.

iCrank said:
I agree. I jailbroke just for bitesms. If apple gave me the ability to reply to text and set a SMS ringtone I wouldn't do it. I don't theme. I just like having that ability to do as I please with my phone. Anyways has anybody ever ran into this issue with Verizon.

I haven't ran into one yet but we will see I'll test it and get back to you on that cause that strikes me as odd I don't think Att has the ability to do so but I guess they do

csdalton said:
I haven't ran into one yet but we will see I'll test it and get back to you on that cause that strikes me as odd I don't think Att has the ability to do so but I guess they do

Do you really believe that AT&T lacks those awesome abilities to pwn someone?

darkstar2007 said:
They pwn people everyday with their service lol! :D

iPhone 4 16Gb 4.2.8 (jbme 3.0)

Well it's to bad Att doesn't have unlimited data :p haha