What's new

Are iPhone 4s and 5 now obsolete?

Norfolkenchants

Reaction score
As the Apple Store now only seem to show 8gb 4s (which I guess nobody wants) and no iPhone 5 at all, am I right in assuming they are now both discontinued?

Very valid point! So my question is really are they discontinued?

The 4 and 5 were discontinued with the release of the 5C and 5S.

If the 5 is obsolete, we are going to have a whole lot of angry 5c owners lol. My 5 does seem to operate ios 7 pretty well, of course I only use it for texting/calling.

GS4/iPhone5

discontinued =/= obsolete.

the equipment will become "obsolete" when it can no longer receive upgrades of the base operating system. However, if someone still has one and still uses it, then for them, it is not obsolete.

The 5 will see upgrades for about two more years, correct?

My iPhone 5 sure doesn't feel obsolete. Runs iOS 7 like a champ.

Agreed! I'll probably stick with my 5 until I see what the 6 brings.

Hardly. It's on a buffed up dual-core processor and has double the RAM of the 4S. You can expect at least 4 more years of support unless something radical comes up that requires more hardware. The 4S will likely last until 8 if not 9 depending on whether or not something gamechanging is released with iOS 9. It's the same case as the 3GS. Because iOS 6 was nothing big, it was able to run it fairly proficiently, so it was given iOS 6. If the iOS 7 changes were to be implemented on iOS 6, the 3GS would've been cut off on iOS 5.1.1 last year.

I have the 4S and upgraded to iOS7 with no problems, so I expect it to last me for a few more years. My wife, however, only has a 4. So far, she has not upgraded to iOS7 and based on some of the comments I've read on this forum, I recommended that she doesn't upgrade.

She still has over a year left on her contract. Will she need to upgrade the iOS to keep using the 4? Or will she have to get a new phone when time is up on this one? She really likes her 4 and just like me, she doesn't like the longer case of the 5.

I have the 4S and upgraded to iOS7 with no problems, so I expect it to last me for a few more years. My wife, however, only has a 4. So far, she has not upgraded to iOS7 and based on some of the comments I've read on this forum, I recommended that she doesn't upgrade. She still has over a year left on her contract. Will she need to upgrade the iOS to keep using the 4? Or will she have to get a new phone when time is up on this one? She really likes her 4 and just like me, she doesn't like the longer case of the 5.
There should be few problems if she doesn't upgrade to iOS 7.0.2. The only potential drawback of not updating is that an increasing number of apps will likely have iOS 7 as the minimum requirement as time goes on.

thanks, scifan. do you see any problems if she does upgrade the 4 to iOS7? Some people on here have said it slows the phone down, but for a non computer geek, is the slow down really that noticeable?

thanks, scifan. do you see any problems if she does upgrade the 4 to iOS7? Some people on here have said it slows the phone down, but for a non computer geek, is the slow down really that noticeable?
I have no personal experience with the iPhone 4, but a good thing would be to read the forum threads dealing with the iPhone 4 on iOS 7 to see what problems other users are experiencing and what solutions to problems are offered. The last thing you want to do is upgrade without knowing as much as possible about any possible issues. If you have any questions, we have a worldwide membership who are only too happy to help with answers and suggestions.