What's new

Apple’s HomePod to Launch Within the Next 4 to 6 Weeks

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple HomePod to launch in the next 4 to 6 weeks.JPG

9to5 Mac reports today that analysts at GBH Insights are saying that Apple’s HomePod smart speaker is finally due to launch within the next 4 to 6 weeks. However, GBH says that Apple faces an “uphill climb” in the crowded smart speaker field, for two reasons in particular.

Firstly, GBH Insights says that Amazon’s highly competitive pricing for its Amazon Echo speaker over the holiday period has helped to further cement the smart speaker as the leader of the home smart speaker market. GBH estimates that the Echo has a 75% market share following the holiday period.

Secondly, GBH says that Google is investing big money in the marketing campaign for its own Google Home speakers at CES in particular.

Apple’s eagerly awaited HomePod will, of course, be aimed at the higher end of the market, and GBH says that by releasing it as soon as possible in 2018, Apple will be able to take advantage of a “pivotal window of opportunity for Cook & Co. to establish their presence in this green field smart speaker market which could be a ‘gate opener’ to other consumer products/functionality further down the road.”

Source: GBH says HomePod launch expected in next 4-6 weeks, but faces an ‘uphill climb’

They have a large segment because they are the only option at the moment. I am willing to shell out hard earned money on a product with higher specifications and better sound. I'm waiting for the HomePod.

Sound is not an issue at all really, any of these units will only have average at best sound, connect an Amazon echo DOT to a proper sound system if you want the best, I use a B&O system in the house, there are much cheaper brands such as Bose which would still outperform any of the all in ones I have seen so far. Plus the sound is only as good as your ears as are TV's to your eyes, why have an OLED 5k TV if you have dirty glasses on or getting older and your eyes are not as they used to be :p

I have a selection of 9 Amazon echo devices around the house, they also control 75 Hue lights through 2 Hue hubs, I also have one in my car and 3 on my boat, they are so cheap here in the UK and make life so much easier and efficient, only problem is that there is no guarantee how secure these are, so if you are up to no good beware you don't know who other than Alexa is listening!

Regards,

Alexa