What's new

Apple's AirPods Release Date Has Been Delayed

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score
Apple-AirPods-768x313.jpg
Apple's new AirPods were a big surprise at this year's iPhone 7 event. The company was unable to have the wireless earphones ready by the launch of the new iPhone models, however Apple did say they would ship in 'late October'.

It looks like Apple may have some bad news according to TechCrunch. The company sent the online publisher a statement saying the product isn't ready yet.

If you’ve been waiting for Apple’s AirPod wireless headphones to go on sale, you’re going to have to wait a little longer. Apple says that they are not ready and they it will need ‘a little more time’.

“The early response to AirPods has been incredible. We don’t believe in shipping a product before it’s ready, and we need a little more time before AirPods are ready for our customers,” an Apple spokesperson said to TechCrunch.

There's no word whether the delay is due to a hardware or software issue. What's even more upsetting is there is no given time-frame for when they might be released.

I just got this message from Apple. Fingers crossed.

"Unfortunately I don’t have any information about why third party websites may be saying that. Apple has not made any announcements about a delay, so as far as we know they will still be available by the end of the month."

On the face of it, there seem to be a lot of sites sharing this story, but they all appear to cite TechCrunch.

On the face of it, there seem to be a lot of sites sharing this story, but they all appear to cite TechCrunch.

I noticed that too. It would sure be easy for Apple to change their site if they aren't going to be available this month. And at this moment Apple's site still says October. I'm hopefully optimistic. :D

I wonder if this is an opportunist attempt to scoop the world on a story. Apple only have 5 days to release the things. If the release doesn't happen, TechCrunch will be in "Told you so." mood and the nonexistent Apple source will be quietly forgotten. On the other hand, if they are released, TechCrunch will suffer no loss of credibility because no one will be interested if Apple get it right. It will only become big news if Apple can't deliver.

FWIW, I think the silence from Apple is due to the keynote coming up on the 27th.

"We told you about these little guys a while back? Well, they're available TODAY."

Apple do like to mention "available today" in their presentations.

If l was a potential buyer for these, then it would not matter to me it Apple released them a week or 2 later than planned. As they cannot be updated like an iPhone l would like them to be the best possible, right out of the box.
Especially for the cost of them.

Gregory Isaacs R.I.P.

I noticed that too. It would sure be easy for Apple to change their site if they aren't going to be available this month. And at this moment Apple's site still says October. I'm hopefully optimistic. :D
The Canadian site states "Currently Unavailable" for the Airpods.

No month or estimated ship times, like they normally do. Just checked 2 minutes ago.