What's new

Apple's abysmal past, is it over now?

paul23

Reaction score
Hello,

First of all sorry if this is the wrong section - there are so many sections here I found this one the best fitting as a newcomer.

I'm looking to buy a new smartphone: however I wish to support only a company that gives me freedom to do what I wish to do with my phone - disassemble, rewrite the entire hardware etc etc.. I believe this is a moral human right at heart and I wish to only buy from companies which at the very least don't try to prevent this. Has apple changed it's stance now that it is getting more and more bad publicity?

I'd like to buy an iphone, though if I can't have the freedom I should have I'm postponing buying.

Last edited:
Hello,

First of all sorry if this is the wrong section - there are so many sections here I found this one the best fitting as a newcomer.

I'm looking to buy a new smartphone: however I wish to support only a company that gives me freedom to do what I wish to do with my phone - disassemble, rewrite the entire hardware etc etc.. I believe this is a moral human right at heart and I wish to only buy from companies which at the very least don't try to prevent this. Has apple changed it's stance now that it is getting more and more bad publicity?

I'd like to buy an iphone, though if I can't have the freedom I should have I'm postponing buying.
beats me why you are posting on here,as far as i know Apple haven't been getting bad publicity,i can only think this is not a serious post,or maybe you just like being controversial.

Short answer:

Get an Android device. You'd be happier if what you listed is what your truly want. Apple will never change their stance on the iPhone. It's sold very very well and it's done just fine the way they made it. If your wanting a device that supports "openness", and root access, then go with the Android OS.

beats me why you are posting on here,as far as i know Apple haven't been getting bad publicity,i can only think this is not a serious post,or maybe you just like being controversial.
Well if I look around my friends (mostly students at TUDelft/Netherlands) I saw they owned an iphone in the past, however the last 2 years they suddenly all became very negative of apple not allowing their applications.

@darkstar - but all my friends already have that, if there's something I even like more than having freedom, it's being different. Especially with an emotional good like a telephone. But if you say so :/.

Can't I install iOS on an android (samsung) phone? Or android on an iphone?

At least that would be my style...

paul23 said:
Well if I look around my friends (mostly students at TUDelft/Netherlands) I saw they owned an iphone in the past, however the last 2 years they suddenly all became very negative of apple not allowing their applications.

@darkstar - but all my friends already have that, if there's something I even like more than having freedom, it's being different. Especially with an emotional good like a telephone. But if you say so :/.

Can't I install iOS on an android (samsung) phone? Or android on an iphone?

At least that would be my style...

I'm not saying you shouldn't go with Apple. What I'm saying is it sounds like your wanting something with root access. Apple doesn't do that with their devices, nor do they support it. You can always jailbreak an iPhone, but Apple doesn't support it.
I'm sure you can install iOS on an Android device, but you more than likely wont find anyone here that can help you with that. This is an Apple enthusiast forum. Not many of the members fool with Android devices.
I'm not trying to sway you from our forums, but we have sister sites that are dedicated to modifying android devices. Maybe one of those forums would be better for assisting you and your needs?
Now if you wanna talk iPhone we can do that all day long in here. :)!

There's all kinds of info for jailbreaking in these forums. Just use our search button and you can make an educated guess on what you'd truly like. We're here to assist if you have any questions. :D!

I agree with darkstar2007 on that if you want to have freedom in changing your phone you should look on another forum. Just so you know that being an Android owner you have to be careful rooting your phone. I had a Desire and I had to root it because of the internal memory issue and I had nothing but problems with it. I like all the customization you get with Android I have the Galaxy S2 right now and love changing it up. But I am staying clear of rooting. I think you should go play with a few phones and see what you like and pick a top end phone so you do not need to root it. Look for internal memory for an Android phone. And get a top end phone like the GS2 or wait for the Nexus to come out so you can get updates. The Iphone is a great phone that works and even though Android in my opinion is as good or even better at somethings you will not be unhappy with Iphone. I watch the Iphone all the time and I do not fall into the fanboy club on ether of these phones so will go in the direction I feel for ME and only me is the top of the tech world at that time. But if you would like to put Iphone on Android I would say dont and go with the Iphone and get the real experience.

paul23, yours is a fine question, but I think you knew the answer from the start: not gonna happen with an Apple product. I wish we could access the internal workings, or even files/folders like in Windows, but..... no. Nevertheless, I'm happy with the trade-off; the iPhone beats anything else on the market, that I've experienced.

Samsung says iPhone is old school. NOT!!! They are haters!!! Lmao.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF.net

Samsung says iPhone is old school. NOT!!! They are haters!!! Lmao.

LOL ya not going to say haters since the Iphone fan club is pretty big and are proven to not budge on phones. I would not say that Iphone is old school at all and I think Apple is still leaders in the future of cell phones. But Android is also leaders as well and with both OS doing battle we are all going to enjoy the next best thing. Just hope that things dont slow down with out Jobs. Apple almost when belly up when he left Apple many years ago so lets hope they learned something over there and continue to move forward.

atmasters said:
LOL ya not going to say haters since the Iphone fan club is pretty big and are proven to not budge on phones. I would not say that Iphone is old school at all and I think Apple is still leaders in the future of cell phones. But Android is also leaders as well and with both OS doing battle we are all going to enjoy the next best thing. Just hope that things dont slow down with out Jobs. Apple almost when belly up when he left Apple many years ago so lets hope they learned something over there and continue to move forward.

I am not saying it, it was Samsung on macworld somewhere. ;)

Guys the OP wants something Apple does not offer and at the end of the day needs to look at Android or a windows phone....oh hum. The iPhone 4s is a massive success here in Australia Telstra has 30,000 on back order and that is just one ISP and does not include Apple stores. The short answer is no you cannot do what you want with the iPhone so find another device to play with?..and best of luck. ... Apple's past is fine and further more customer satisfaction world wide is number one so again I have no idea why the thread title is what it is.

apples-abysmal-past-over-now. Never has been abysmal so don't understand the point

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

@Paul23, I suggest that you take a look at the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Google held to its standards with the build of this particular phone and Samsung agreed. Initially, Verizon was not willing to accept Google's terms, as they did when the first iPhone was released. Apparently, VZW had a long enough memory or could bear the thought of lost revenue and agreed to permit Google to control what is on the Nexus. The Android development community has already rooted the Nexus so you wil be able to make several modifications. I do not believe that any developer has yet to release a new ROM for the Nexus and Ice Cream Sandwich. My sense is new ROM's and themes will be developed very quickly.

Where I live one can not find a iPhone 4 S to purchase. They sold out within days of release. Apple makes superior hardware and software, IMO. Thankfully, we still have options and can make our choices accordingly.

For me, first and foremost, a smartphone is a phone. Therefore, my first priority is call quality. The new 4S has outstanding call quality, therefore, I departed from Android and returned to iOS.

Good luck with your endeavor and let us know what you decide

Please I am not making fun of Paul. But I cannot resist this

$213aed5a.jpg

Only problem is you cannot make phone calls, surf the web or text and oh... It is not for sale good news you can pull it apart change it around.... As much as you want