What's new

Apple wants to turn off iPhone cameras

gray_mouse

Reaction score
Apple has been working on a plan that will allow concert halls, sporting arenas and other venues to install infrared sensors that will detect iPhones going into camera mode and promptly disable the device’s ability to snap a shot or film a video. Explicitly, the patent states that it will use new technology to “capture a second image that includes an infrared signal with encoded data” and from there could shut-down a phone’s recording capability or else introduce a compulsory watermark.

» Apple wants to turn off iPhone cameras Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Other folks who could use this technology are police departments who are tired of pesky human rights violations. Also any dictator who don't want a massacre to be caught on iPhone.

What a story. What is all that about? They want to control the way we making point and shot videos now?

I love apple and Thier products but this has me worried of the pandoras box it could open.

A friend just called and told me about this! She heard it on some talk-radio show, and said that she heard this was happening in London? Since I didn't hear it myself, I came here to see if there was any discussion and of course, there is! :p

If I wanted to take a picture at one of the above-mentioned venues, I wouldn't really use my iPhone... but the main issue is Sensorship, and yes, that is one Pandora's box that I'm very concerned about.

This is not about censorship. Read your tickets carefully for concerts and such. They explicitly say no pictures and video. I haven't seen a ticket saying otherwise. Further, there are several of these articles floating around from less than unbiased sources.

Finally, this is for a PATENT. A PATENT does not mean it is going to be implemented. A patent simply means they are registering the means and technology so if someone else attempts the same thing, which they would, Apple owns the rights to the technology if it is close to their own. It is technological evolution.

It's not always a grand conspiracy everyone.

Sorry for my opinion

I apologize for coming off harsh on my reply, it wasn't meant to sound like that. I can see some cause for concern, but between replies here and another couple of boards, many people were ignoring the fact that the photo and video at concerts isn't allowed. That's where I was correcting the censorship part. Now if they were blocking it from random public events, that would be something else entirely.

But at this point, I honestly wouldn't lose sleep over it as this is more about patent registration than anything else. There are millions of technologies and items that are patented that never see the light of day. Intellectual patents especially. It can be very much more of a way to set up future revenue by someone having to lease rights off of you than actually implementing something on your own.

Thanks... it's just that some of us are very new, and very un-techie...and things can come across as snarky on this forum from time to time. It kind of makes one think twice about posting anything.

As for censorship, well I get what you are saying. I do know that Apple has taken down some apps for a variety reasons... but they were of a religious nature, and perhaps Apple was practicing some censorship at that time. As for the camera issue.. .I get that, and the camera isn't that great to use those type of venues anyway.

Thanks... it's just that some of us are very new, and very un-techie...and things can come across as snarky on this forum from time to time. It kind of makes one think twice about posting anything.

As for censorship, well I get what you are saying. I do know that Apple has taken down some apps for a variety reasons... but they were of a religious nature, and perhaps Apple was practicing some censorship at that time. As for the camera issue.. .I get that, and the camera isn't that great to use those type of venues anyway.

Yeah, forums are terrible for conveying tone. That's the worst problem with them. Especially until you are around enough to know the poster better.

I understand completely about the censorship thing. I hadn't realized there were some religious ones they had removed, I'll have to look into that. I will say, whatever they took down was probably from a business perspective. It's a fine line you have to run on neutrality with businesses and sales. Very fine and it's hard to do things without stepping on toes, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with religion at all, just looking at it from a business standpoint as they may have.

The camera DEFINITELY isn't great for those venues. You're completely correct on that one. The lighting, or lack thereof, tied with the distance, usually makes it impossible for clean shots.

Like I mentioned, it's hard to see where this may land, but ultimately, by standing bet is that this patent is more of an insurance policy for the future for income. Believe it or not, companies like Apple, Google, Microsoft and such have staffs that basically sit back and imagine new things to create as fast as possible. Trying to cover every angle for the future. Then they have to lock up the patents immediately to prevent someone else from getting them.

Business is a strange world these days. To say the least.

Thanks :) I was a long time moderator on a forum for Newfoundland Dog enthusiasts. So I completely what you're saying about tone. I have a short fuse today and have over-reacted. Thanks for the olive branch.

Thanks :) I was a long time moderator on a forum for Newfoundland Dog enthusiasts. So I completely what you're saying about tone. I have a short fuse today and have over-reacted. Thanks for the olive branch.

Don't sweat it. Being moderator over this forum and several Android forums, it keeps things entertaining for me. LOL

What a crazy story, soon we wont be able to call anyone but still pay a cell phone bill.

I would think that such an app could infringe on human rights.

Just Imagine the consequences if this app were available during the recent news stories in several Arab countries, even Canada and dare ti think back to China and the guy who halted a tank armed with a Brolly, a briefcase and awesome courage.

CP

Was just chatting with my husband about this and he suggested that perhaps videos of these events could later be purchased from iTunes! LOL!

Also, he wondered if companies like Canon, Nikkon, Sony and other smart phone companies would do the same.

I just got an email this morning that was talking about this very topic. Here is the text of the email:

Dear Annie,

Apple wants to control the camera on your phone.

The maker of the iPhone wants to patent a sensor that would detect when people are using their phone cameras to do things like film concerts — and give corporations the power to shut them down.1

You think that’s bad? Imagine what would happen if this tool fell into the hands of repressive regimes. Thousands of people across the Middle East have used cellphone cameras to document violent government abuses. This kind of technology would give tyrants the power to stem the flow of videos and crack down on protesters with impunity.

Sign our letter to Steve Jobs: Demand that Apple stop developing technology that harms democracy and free speech.

Apple says this new technology was designed to stop concertgoers from taking unofficial video at live events. But you can bet that governments and corporations will take full advantage of it in other more dangerous ways – to silence the voices of protesters, political opponents or anyone else they dislike.

As Apple CEO Steve Jobs obviously knows, smartphones have become extensions of ourselves. They are incredibly powerful tools for communication, education, political expression, community organizing and just plain fun.

Sign our letter to Steve Jobs: Demand that Apple stop developing technology that harms democracy and free speech.

Apple says this new technology was designed to stop concertgoers from taking unofficial video at live events. But you can bet that governments and corporations will take full advantage of it in other more dangerous ways – to silence the voices of protesters, political opponents or anyone else they dislike.

As Apple CEO Steve Jobs obviously knows, smartphones have become extensions of ourselves. They are incredibly powerful tools for communication, education, political expression, community organizing and just plain fun.

Tell Steve Jobs that WE control our phones: Neither Apple nor anybody else can dictate what we photograph and film with them. (If anyone wants to sign the petition, click here)

Earlier this year, researchers discovered that iPhones recorded your every move for the past year in a hidden but unprotected file.2 The public was outraged, and Apple soon announced that it was updating its software to better protect users.

We must call out against Apple once again. This new camera blocking technology is a pre-emptive strike against free speech. If activated, it would be immensely harmful to our rights to connect and communicate.

Please take action now to urge Steve Jobs to pull the plug on this censorship technology.

Thanks,
Josh Levy
Online Campaign Manager
Free Press
Free Press | Media reform through education, organizing and advocacy

The email also included a link to a newspaper article: Click here to read the article