What's new

Apple TV 4K question?

Reaction score
Guys, I bought the Belkin ultra high speed HDMI cable. I know my TV does not have a 2.1 HDMI port but still future proof. My question is, I connected the new cable. When I click on 4K HDR, the Apple TV works under that setting. HDR is enabled. But this setting looks washed compared to the 4K SDR setting. The SDR looks better.

My TV model is old. Mode number UN48JU6400F. Not sure if this TV has HDR or not but it grabs under 4K HDR.

Also when I have it under 4K HDR, when I click on the menu button to go back, the screen goes black for a few seconds then goes back. Like there is a delay. Also, the tv blacks out under 4K HDR at times. Why? This doesn’t happen under the 4K SDR setting.

Any help will be appreciated.

Go into your TV's settings and look for video. See if it is available. If the TV doesn't have a high speed HDMI it probably does not support HDR and may be the reason it looks washed out.

Go into your TV's settings and look for video. See if it is available. If the TV doesn't have a high speed HDMI it probably does not support HDR and may be the reason it looks washed out.

I don’t see HDR anywhere. But when I enable the HDR on the Apple TV, it accepts it. It says HDR now enabled. But it doesn’t look better than the 4K SDR setting.

I have a 4K Apple TV on an old 1080p tv and I can set it for HDR. The tv can't handle it - the moral being just because you can select a setting on the Apple TV doesn't mean the tv can handle it, or that it won't damage the tv over time. This is why it resets if you don't tell it you can see the picture correctly.

Lucky for me my main tv is HDR and Dolby Vision both, HDR and Dolby Vision both show a much wider light to dark dynamic range than SDR, possibly why it saturates on a non-compliant tv.