What's new

Apple Telly

HunnieBunnie

Reaction score
Since I purchased my 8 Plus, I have been getting emails about Apple Telly. I read a little about it. It sounds confusing to set up, but I do not think my iphone, telly, and Mac will all work together. First of all, this requires a "smart telly," yes?

Hmm, well that is interesting. I keep getting offers for a free year of Apple telly. Not sure if it is worth it to me, though. I do not have cable or satellite because I watch PBS 99.99% of the time. Not sure Apple telly would have anything for me. I found a network telly station I now watch a little, but only a little. It is called Dabl. I like the lifestyle programmes, but even there, I also get a lot of that on PBS. You just cannot beat PBS in my opinion.

You can load the Apple TV app onto your iPhone and take advantage of the free year that way. And if you ever decide to get a smart TV or even something like a Roku box or chromecast, you can use your iPhone and have it go through said device and watch it on your TV. Me personally, I am waiting for Black Friday to get myself a new smart TV. For less then $200 you can get a pretty nice TV these days. Anyhow. Hope all is well and that you have a Happy Thanksgiving. That goes for everyone here as well!!! God Bless

Hi 933. Well, that is a good idea, but I do not think I could stand trying to watch programmes on this relatively small screen. I may think about doing it for the telly sometime down the line. I can stand to watch videos on my MacBook, and my telly screen is a bit bigger than my laptop screen, so I can watch there, too. Actually, I was thinking of subscribing to PBS's on demand on-line videos. It is only $65 a year, and the donation helps PBS, and they have the best programming out there in my opinion.

I have a small screen Samsung telly (I think; I forget! :D) that is not a smart telly. I read up on them a couple of years ago, though. There are a lot of privacy and security drawbacks to having one, and I decided then that I did not want one. I suggest you read up on them before you make the financial commitment. I think you will be surprised. I hope we are not moving to a time where we will no longer have a choice to buy a dumb telly!

Really, I feel like a relic from another age. I love a lot of the things we have available to us these days, e.g. iPhones, laptops, Internet, etc., but I wish a lot of other things had stayed the same, e.g. I thought cable telly was a good idea 50 or so years ago, but I changed my mind about that by then end of the '80s if not sooner. Never thought satellite was a good idea either given the awful dishes people attach to their homes---they are hideous, and right now, I have a next door neighbour with two of those hideous things attached to their house. o_O

Anyway, now is a good time to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, too, so Happy Thanksgiving everyone! It is unseasonably warm here, and we have a ton of rain in the forecast starting today through the rest of the week, but it is suitably grey for November, so we can imagine it is colder than it is by turning down the air conditioning. :p I love grey, cold November days, but it does not look like we will get any for the rest of the month. It is almost December now! Where has Autumn gone?! The days are passing much, much too quickly. I will cling onto to December, January, and February for dear life! I dread the upcoming hot, humid weather beginning in April. I am not a hot weather person at all.

Anyway, everyone have a safe, happy holiday. Gobble-gobble! :)

933, I hope you are enjoying your new 11! I bet everyone will want you to demonstrate all of its charms at Thanksgiving! :)

Last edited: