What's new

Apple Shows Off iOS 10

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
iOS-10-1.jpg

The new version of Apple's iPhone operating system is here. Apple debuted iOS 10 at the WWDC event today. Here are just some of the coolest new iOS X features and functions from those creative Cupertino engineers:
  • Automatic download of apps across your devices including your AppleTV and iOS, etc. If you download an app to your iPhone it will automatically install on your Apple TV and iPad as well.
  • Universal Clipboard - parts of text, hyperlinks, etc. can be copied on one iOS or macOS device, and will be available on all the others
  • Redesigned lock screen with improved notifications, quick interactions with apps, and expanded 3D Touch
  • "Raise to wake" feature - you can wake the phone's lock screen just by lifting it - will give you an overview of notifications or updates. Notifications are different and you can respond to them using 3D Touch - you can also respond and interact with the app immediately
  • 3D Touch now includes widgets for apps - you don't have to launch the app at all - You can see info and get video highlights, without even entering the app.
  • Siri is opened up to developers - Supported apps include Slack, WeChat, and WhatsApp, Uber, Runtastic, Runkeeper, MapMyRun, Skype and more
  • Siri includes improved contextual awareness - it can now make intelligent suggestions using your current location, calendar availability, contact information, and recent address - uses advanced Deep Learning to rival the likes of Google and Cortana
  • Photos app improved with Deep Learning - adds new object and scene detection for more powerful search and sorting on your device - the AI is local to the device for security - the device can will cluster together photos that are relevant at any moment you choose by keywords including trips and photos of the last weekend or last year - it can even automatically edit and splice highlight reels of your events, trips and more - includes a feature called Memories - shows off highlights of people, map of locations, and related memories.
  • iMessage Apps vastly improved with a ton of new features, including dynamic emoticons and much more
These are just a sampling of the impressive new capabilities that Apple has built-into iOS 10. I's easy to be impressed with all of the advancements that Apple has come up with for the next generation of their iPhone and iPad OS.

Last edited:
One of the most interesting parts of the iOS 10 presentation was the announcement that any devices that can run iOS 9 will get iOS 10. This means that the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s will not be left behind, at least not for another year.

We now have conflicting reports as to whether or not the iPhone 4s and the iPad 2 will get iOS 10. Some lists say yes and other lists say no. One list I found said that the iPad 2 will get the update but not the iPhone 4s.

Last edited:
One of the new features of iOS 10 that will certainly appeal to many users is the ability to delete most stock apps from your device, with a few exceptions. They can be added back to the device by going to the App Store purchase history and re-downloading them. Gone are the days of hiding those unwanted apps in a folder on the last page. Remove built-in apps from the Home screen on your iOS device with iOS 10 beta - Apple Support
This is a very welcome move, It has long been an annoyance that unwanted apps sit there on phones taking up space, I REALLY look forward to this.

• Universal Clipboard - parts of text, hyperlinks, etc. can be copied on one iOS or macOS device, and will be available on all the others < love it
And of course the ability to delete stock apps!!! finally!!!! stocks is going first :D

• "Raise to wake" feature - you can wake the phone's lock screen just by lifting it - will give you an overview of notifications or updates. Notifications are different and you can respond to them using 3D Touch - you can also respond and interact with the app immediately
That will be another handy one, not just for checking the time, but notifications with out the screen dimming
  • 3D Touch now includes widgets for apps - you don't have to launch the app at all - You can see info and get video highlights, without even entering the app.
  • Siri is opened up to developers - Supported apps include Slack, WeChat, and WhatsApp, Uber, Runtastic, Runkeeper, MapMyRun, Skype and more
The main good ones IMO

As has been said stock apps can be deleted in the forthcoming IOS 10.

Which ones will you delete?

For me Compass and Stocks will be the first to go.

Here's the full list of stock apps that you can delete from your device.

• Calculator
  • Calendar
  • Compass
  • Contacts
  • FaceTime
  • Find My Friends
  • Home
  • iBooks
  • iCloud Drive
  • iTunes Store
  • Mail
  • Maps
  • Music
  • News
  • Notes
  • Podcasts
  • Reminders
  • Stocks
  • Tips
  • Videos
  • Voice Memos
  • Watch app
  • Weather

Definitely not Compass. I needed it for the Mercury transit earlier this year, it was very useful.

Tips and Stocks will be the first built in apps I'll remove.

Apps I will delete:
  • Compass
  • Contacts
  • Find My Friends
  • Home
  • iBooks
  • iCloud Drive
  • iTunes Store
  • Podcasts

• Stocks
  • Tips
  • Videos
  • Voice Memos
  • Watch app

Watch, friends, Apple music, tips- ALL gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's great that they are giving owners at last a choice, after all we are different.